Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 442392  
Subject: getting older Date: 3/20/2013 2:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
What is it about numbers divisible by 10? It's just a number, regardless. But I'm coming up on a multiple of 10 that clearly says I have more life behind me than ahead of me. I'm sure that's been true for a while now, but something about the round number causes a pause. I doesn't make sense. Must be something about the way our brains work (or maybe just mine?).

I don't fear or dread it. But after so many decades the sins of my youth are revisiting me. Things I did when I was young, things I thought healed long ago, sometimes hurt now. New things I do take forever to heal. Fundy coworker just had a quadruple bypass a few months ago due to a dissected coronary artery (he was lucky he was in the hospital when it happened or he'd be dead). He's only a year or two older than me. I saw a post here on the Fool from someone who is only 44 and just got a death sentence: pancreatic cancer that has already metastisized. They give him a year. Life is terminal for all of us. We all know that, but I think sometimes it takes a while to realize it. Which is why so many of us have screwed-up priorities (IMHO).

So now I think about things more. I actually read labels instead of price tags. I get annoyed when things come up to interfere with family plans because I'd rather do the family activity. I don't care so much about the cost of things anymore (within reason)...if we'd all enjoy it, then we'll do it**. What about work? Who cares. I put in my time and get my job done. Once I walk out of the building I don't give it another thought. I have no interest in checking work email at home, or "god-forbid", on vacation. Work is a part of my life, but it isn’t my whole life. I leave it at the office.

Today we have a meeting to see if we want to hire this lawyer to setup a trust for us. We really should have done this long ago. Being the cheap bastard that I am (or was) I tried DIY, but I think our situation is just complicated enough to make that impractical (e.g. I have almost no family, and 1poorlady's family is overseas…so who is going to be the trustee?). So we have a meeting today around lunch time. If we like what we hear, we'll hire the guy to set it up for us.

In the meantime I'm hoping to setup some sort of family trip this summer, I'm wracking my brain for some idea for upcoming anniversary, and I'm thinking about ways to adjust my diet that make sense but still allow me to enjoy eating (which is one of the greater pleasures in life, IMO). I know my body will wear out, and that's fine. I just want to avoid accelerating the process with crappy foods. 1poorlady is on an insane fad diet her sister swears by...hopefully the fad will pass soon and we'll get her on something more reasonable. (She trusts her sister over anything any doctor writes about that nonsense diet.) And I really (REALLY) want to do a grand trip next year before 1poorkid goes to college. Europe for three weeks, perhaps. It will be expensive, but I don’t care. We don’t fly 1st class and stay in 5-star hotels. We’re reasonable, IMO. Not extravagant. So it costs what it costs.

It really is just a number. Divisible by 10. And when it comes it will be only 1 day more than the previous day, only one year more than the previous year. Nothing special, except how it is perceived simply because of its mathematical properties.

1poorguy

**We traveled to the Philippines last summer. Spent a lot of money on activities, and I don't care. Some were more fun than others, but they were new things we could all try together. It was worth it. No regrets.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: CountNoCount Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419499 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/20/2013 2:53 PM
Recommendations: 1
1pg: What is it about numbers divisible by 10? It's just a number, regardless. But I'm coming up on a multiple of 10 that clearly says I have more life behind me than ahead of me. I'm sure that's been true for a while now, but something about the round number causes a pause. I doesn't make sense. Must be something about the way our brains work (or maybe just mine?).

When I turned 40, I was miserable. By time I turned 50, I had a party, with a cake that proclaimed "Fifty is Nifty!"

CNC

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419501 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/20/2013 3:20 PM
Recommendations: 3
When I turned 40, I was miserable. By time I turned 50, I had a party, with a cake that proclaimed "Fifty is Nifty!"

I am surprised you can remember all the way back to 50 :-)

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419510 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/20/2013 4:04 PM
Recommendations: 0

Ha! Me, too!
I have trouble remembering two days ago.

AM

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419518 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/20/2013 4:42 PM
What is it about numbers divisible by 10? It's just a number, regardless. But I'm coming up on a multiple of 10 that clearly says I have more life behind me than ahead of me. I'm sure that's been true for a while now, but something about the round number causes a pause. I doesn't make sense. Must be something about the way our brains work (or maybe just mine?).

Your brain still working at your old age?

What about work? Who cares. I put in my time and get my job done. Once I walk out of the building I don't give it another thought. I have no interest in checking work email at home, or "god-forbid", on vacation. Work is a part of my life, but it isn’t my whole life. I leave it at the office.

You're lucky. My wife is on call 24/7/365. She's received calls on Christmas and vacations. I really hate the 2:00am calls.

Today we have a meeting to see if we want to hire this lawyer to setup a trust for us. We really should have done this long ago. Being the cheap bastard that I am (or was) I tried DIY, but I think our situation is just complicated enough to make that impractical (e.g. I have almost no family, and 1poorlady's family is overseas…so who is going to be the trustee?). So we have a meeting today around lunch time. If we like what we hear, we'll hire the guy to set it up for us.

DIY estate planning is one of those expensive kinds of planning.

PSU

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419528 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/20/2013 5:52 PM
Your brain still working at your old age?

Not always, no. :-(

This guy won't be cheap if we use him. A bit over $2500 for the trust (including transferring house deed), plus powers of attorney and wills. 1poorlady was sticker-shocked, but we'll see. I plan to check a couple of other folks to see if this guy was way over the top, or fairly typical.

We originally thought DIY because it seems there are all sorts of forms and such you can download and do yourself. I have gone through the petition to naturalization process with INS (now USCIS) several times, and I don't need a lawyer to do it. Just fill out the forms, follow the instructions, and wait for them to process. But the trust thing definitely isn't going to be like that.

1poorguy

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419531 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/20/2013 6:45 PM
I hardly noticed 40. I still felt pretty good, I had put on a bit of weight but not much. Today I eat so much less than I used to and I'm still much heavier than I was (and that's after dropping about 10 lbs off my high). The biggest shock at 40 was when my doctor during a routine physical (which I do every year or so) said "you're 40 now, we have to check your prostate". Every bloody visit now he slips on that infernal glove! (I'm sure it's not exactly a treat for him either, of course.)

Old injuries now decide they are going to hurt just for the hell of it. On Monday it was my hip. At various random times it's my back.

I have several minor "trigger fingers".

If I do heavy yard work my body hurts for three or four days, when at 40 it would be a day at most.

Forty was a cake-walk.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419534 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/20/2013 7:26 PM

This guy won't be cheap if we use him. A bit over $2500 for the trust (including transferring house deed), plus powers of attorney and wills. 1poorlady was sticker-shocked, but we'll see. I plan to check a couple of other folks to see if this guy was way over the top, or fairly typical.

made me look...... cost me $1800 ...and thats in SF area where EVERYTHING is more expensive.

i thought about DIY but stumbled on an article in NY Times where the reporter did six different onlines and took them to two attorneys,
who found different problems with all six.

could be unethical attorneys ...but since some of my best friends are lawyers.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419535 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/20/2013 7:30 PM

Ha! Me, too!
I have trouble remembering two days ago.

ha..... i at least have an excuse -- 4 days after 50th birthday i was in the hospital, and then in and out for another 6 weeks (by MY count, nearly dying three times <G>)

for me, 30 was traumatic ("never trust anyone over 30")
and 40 worse.

it isn't rational to focus on the divisible by ten .... so after fifty, i think of my age in hex : x43

Author: CountNoCount Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419537 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/20/2013 8:05 PM
Recommendations: 4

8^(

When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it happened or not. Now that I am older, I can only remember things that never actually happened.

CNC

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419553 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/21/2013 10:26 AM
Recommendations: 1

We originally thought DIY because it seems there are all sorts of forms and such you can download and do yourself. I have gone through the petition to naturalization process with INS (now USCIS) several times, and I don't need a lawyer to do it. Just fill out the forms, follow the instructions, and wait for them to process. But the trust thing definitely isn't going to be like that.

$2500 will look cheap if you screw up. I've read enough stories of costly mistakes on the Tax Strategies board. There's stories of where Mom gave the house to son right before her death. Or Aunt Mae who gave AT&T stock from the 60's to her nephew. Both lose the bump up in value at death and figuring the basis of the AT&T stock is a nightmare. There are plenty of other examples.

PSU

Author: jgc123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419554 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/21/2013 10:43 AM
Recommendations: 2
Count: "Now that I am older, I can only remember things that never actually happened."

Yep. And I am not even halfway to the end yet. I am only 57.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419595 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/21/2013 8:14 PM
Count: "Now that I am older, I can only remember things that never actually happened."

Yep. And I am not even halfway to the end yet. I am only 57.

wandering off thread a bit ..... was just reading a thing about our >hidden< prejudices ...

authors claim we ALL have them, often without realizing
/ in a way we HAVE to have them **
that they devised tests to test ....

and found to their surprise that nearly everyone is biased against the elderly.....
surprised because most of us will get there, but didn't start there
most of us have/had elderly parents, grandparents...
even the elderly don't like the elderly

what they found was that the elderly don't think of themselves as elderly....

** if you see a Lion eat your uncle Jim, you're going to be biased against Lions .... if you treat every Lion as an individual entity, one might eat you.

Author: jgc123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419598 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/21/2013 9:44 PM
Recommendations: 5
"even the elderly don't like the elderly"

I wonder if 'like' is the right word. Sometimes I drive the speed limit or even slower on the 70 mile drive to visit my 91 year old Dad. I like and love Dad but...it's hard to face the fact that the smartest man you ever knew is going to repeatedly ask you the same questions over and over again because he no longer recalls anything that happened that day, week or year.

It's not that you don't like/love them. It's that you don't know what to do or how to act and you don't want to be reminded that they are where you are headed.

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419604 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/22/2013 1:08 AM
Recommendations: 28
At 30 I was miserable because my girlfriend had just dumped me and I thought I was too old to get another one.

At 40 I had taken leave from my job to cruise the Pacific with my wife. I figured I was at the peak of my powers.

At 50 I was a proud father and cranking pretty well on my career. I had taken up the bicycle and was in better shape than ever before.

At 60 my career had me breathing pretty hard. At 62 they fired my ass, while I was still making house payments and had a kid in college.

At 70 my house was paid off, my kid was out of college, I was collecting Social Security, and I got a new job, the best one I've ever had.

This year I'll be 72. I doubt it will all last until I'm 80, but we'll see.

A few weeks ago I visited my aunt who is 100 and doing mighty well. She's got a big, bright-yellow DO NOT RESUSCITATE notice taped to the door of her fridge.

So it goes.

Author: skorthos Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419651 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/22/2013 8:53 PM
Recommendations: 25
A group of 15-year-old girlfriends discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally, they agreed to meet at the Dairy Queen next to the Ocean View restaurant because they had only $6.00 among them and Jimmy Johnson, the cute boy in Social Studies, lived on that street.

10 years later, the group of 25-year-old girlfriends discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally, they agreed to meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the beer was cheap, the restaurant offered free snacks, the band was good, there was no cover and there were lots of cute guys.

10 years later, the group of 35-year-old girlfriends discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally, they agreed to meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the cosmos were good, it was right near the gym and, if they went late enough, there wouldn't be too many whiny little kids.

10 years later, the group of 45-year-old girlfriends discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally, they agreed to meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the martinis were big and the waiters had tight pants and nice buns.

10 years later, the group of 55-year-old girlfriends discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally, they agreed to meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the prices were reasonable, the wine list was good, the restaurant had windows that opened (in case of hot flashes), and fish is good for cholesterol.

10 years later, the group of 65-year-old girlfriends discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally, they agreed to meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the lighting was good and the restaurant had an early bird special.

10 years later, the group of 75-years-old girlfriends discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally, they agreed to meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the food was not too spicy and the restaurant was handicapped-accessible.

10 years later, the group of 85-years-old girlfriends discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally, they agreed to meet at the Ocean View restaurant because they had never been there before.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419653 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/22/2013 9:29 PM
Recommendations: 2
ha
I expected them to end up back at the DQ
(>:

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419654 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/22/2013 10:05 PM

Warren Buffett eats at the DQ, but he's only 82.

ted

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419655 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/22/2013 11:02 PM
ha
(>:

----------

LOL!
So did I.

AM

Author: skorthos Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419661 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/23/2013 8:24 AM
Ox6a74: ha
(>:

It probably needs another line. They are certainly going to be around 10 years from now.

Author: PinotPete Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419663 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/23/2013 10:11 AM
Recommendations: 5
I expected them to end up back at the DQ...It probably needs another line. They are certainly going to be around 10 years from now.

Would this take care of it?

"A group of 95-year-old girlfriends discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally, they agreed to meet at the Dairy Queen next to the Ocean View restaurant because they had only $6.00 among them and Jimmy Johnson, the cute boy in Social Studies, used to live on that street."

Pete

Author: PinotPete Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419664 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/23/2013 10:16 AM
Would this take care of it?

...and to answer my own question:

Depends

Pete

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 419692 of 442392
Subject: Re: getting older Date: 3/24/2013 3:00 AM
back at the DQ
(>:

It probably needs another line. They are certainly going to be around 10 years from now.

or part of the fun was expecting one punch line and getting another

or... I'm over thinking this

eg, doesn't the mention of cosmos date it?

(>:

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement