UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 749477  
Subject: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 12/31/2012 10:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Not sure how to get rid of your Christmas Tree? Inventors reveal how to turn it into a ROCKET

American inventors launched the 'XMS MissileToe' from a field

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2255223/Not-s...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

---

kewl......

t.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 662966 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 12/31/2012 10:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Send it to Washington to be with all the other dead trees.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663018 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 12/31/2012 2:14 PM
Recommendations: 1
They didn't really get rid of their tree. It only went like 100 feet in the air. Then it came back down and they still had the tree to dispose of.

A better way to get rid of Christmas trees is burn them and release a little CO2 into the atmosphere. It's cold and wet here and I could use a little extra warmth!

Art

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663024 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 12/31/2012 2:25 PM
"A better way to get rid of Christmas trees is burn them and release a little CO2 into the atmosphere. It's cold and wet here and I could use a little extra warmth! "

do it outside on a wet day.

They are pine or spruce..and spit and cough and send cinders all over the place..

Not suitable for fireplace wood.

t.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663096 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 12/31/2012 8:19 PM
"A better way to get rid of Christmas trees is burn them and release a little CO2 into the atmosphere. It's cold and wet here and I could use a little extra warmth! "

do it outside on a wet day.

They are pine or spruce..and spit and cough and send cinders all over the place..

Not suitable for fireplace wood.

Actually those woods burn just fine.

After, of course, you cut them up into firewood-size pieces and leave them sitting someplace reasonably dry for several months.

(You cut trees in the winter and spring for use as firewood the following winter. You also rough-cut lumber and then leave it to dry for several months - or kiln-dry it - before planing it down to the desired measurements.)

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663105 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 12/31/2012 9:19 PM
A better way to get rid of Christmas trees is burn them and release a little CO2 into the atmosphere. It's cold and wet here and I could use a little extra warmth!

Art

----------------

Around here, the government collects christmas trees and hauls them down to Galveston where they are used to stabilize sand dunes and beach erosion. The carbon still returns to the environment as it must, albeit at a much slower pace...

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663138 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 1/1/2013 12:22 AM
"Around here, the government collects christmas trees and hauls them down to Galveston where they are used to stabilize sand dunes and beach erosion. The carbon still returns to the environment as it must, albeit at a much slower pace..." bighairymike
---------------------

I just like burning stuff. What's more exciting than a big roaring fire? Especially if you got something you can stick on a stick and cook and eat while your doing it? And I don't care if it's got a little bit of pine flavor? I sort of like that. Hot dogs are especially good stuck in a fire and heated up and then slapped on a warmed up bun and with mustard, relish and onions.

Art

Author: tgrmn Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663233 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 1/1/2013 5:26 PM
Recommendations: 2
Maybe this would placate Nancy Snyderman, the M.D. on C.N.N. that said live,

i.e. '...I like Christmas, but,

-> I don't like all the Religion stuff...<- '

Ah Hello! Hey Nancy, guess whose Birthday Celebration it is?

Santa?

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663258 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 1/1/2013 7:18 PM
"Ah Hello! Hey Nancy, guess whose Birthday Celebration it is?

Santa? "

Well, since most historians don't ever think there was this 'jesus' characater, and for sure he/she/it wasn't born on Dec 25th in the current calendar.....

It could have been Santa's birthday. After all, we know he is real. Ask any 3 year old xtian kid. Skip the muslim ones (1 billion of them) and the Hindus and the Jews.....another 2.5 billion......

And of course, 1 out of every 365 people have their birthday on Dec 25, more or less.....slightly less due to leap years...

It's a celebration by marketeers to encourage you to buy crap and exchange it with lots of family members you hardly see but for this one day around the Winter Solstice where you put up Solstice lights, get an evergreen tree and decorate it with tinsel and ornaments made of glass, plastic and metal, with some fiber thrown in for good measure......and eat and eat and eat......fruit cake and rum cake and turkey and ham.....

Just like chocolate bunnies and colored eggs for 'easter' where women go out and buy fancy outfits for the day. Easter egg hunts.....

t.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663273 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 1/1/2013 8:10 PM
"Well, since most historians don't ever think there was this 'jesus' characater, and for sure he/she/it wasn't born on Dec 25th in the current calendar..... It could have been Santa's birthday. After all, we know he is real. Ask any 3 year old xtian kid. Skip the muslim ones (1 billion of them) and the Hindus and the Jews.....another 2.5 billion......And of course, 1 out of every 365 people have their birthday on Dec 25, more or less.....slightly less due to leap years...It's a celebration by marketeers to encourage you to buy crap and exchange it with lots of family members you hardly see but for this one day around the Winter Solstice where you put up Solstice lights, get an evergreen tree and decorate it with tinsel and ornaments made of glass, plastic and metal, with some fiber thrown in for good measure......and eat and eat and eat......fruit cake and rum cake and turkey and ham.....Just like chocolate bunnies and colored eggs for 'easter' where women go out and buy fancy outfits for the day. Easter egg hunts." - tele
-------------------------------------

Christmas is about the return of the Sun and Easter is a celebration of Spring and the resurrection of the Earth, bunnies are born and chickens are laying eggs again.

It's all about symbols and metaphors.

Art

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663469 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 1/2/2013 9:21 PM
I just like burning stuff. What's more exciting than a big roaring fire? Especially if you got something you can stick on a stick and cook and eat while your doing it? And I don't care if it's got a little bit of pine flavor? I sort of like that.

I once drank some pine wine at a Greek festival. Yuck! Not doing that again.

The smell of pine is very good. The taste, not so much.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663472 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 1/2/2013 9:25 PM
Pine is delicious with apples.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663475 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 1/2/2013 9:28 PM
Recommendations: 2
Pine is delicious with apples.
---------------------------
I sometimes pine for pine.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663478 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 1/2/2013 9:33 PM
"I sometimes pine for pine." - 2828

Way back when I used to try and drink alcohol just to fit in I used to drink a little Gin and 7 Up. Not a whole lot but just a little bit. I sort of enjoyed the flavor of the Gin. I also sort of like the flavor of Tequila. Tequila's got sort of a weird taste sort of like Cholula Hot Sauce or Habenero peppers do.

Mind you I never drank a whole lot. Just like one or two drinks at one of Bonnie's meetings when they had an open bar like at the Hyatt Regency in Knoxville, Tennessee. That is where I met people like Fred Thompson and Howard Baker and Lamar Alexander. It was meetings with the Society of Professional Journalists Knoxville Chapter.

Art

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663480 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 1/2/2013 9:36 PM
Way back when I used to try and drink alcohol just to fit in I used to drink a little Gin and 7 Up. Not a whole lot but just a little bit. I sort of enjoyed the flavor of the Gin.
---------------------------------------------------
Funny you should bring that up because gin tastes like pine to me. Gin is like drinking a conifer.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663482 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 1/2/2013 9:39 PM
"Funny you should bring that up because gin tastes like pine to me. Gin is like drinking a conifer." - 2828

It's probably good for you. The turpentine gives your arteries and veins a good rinsing out and dissolves the cholesterol plaque.

I just made that up by the way.

Art

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663483 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 1/2/2013 9:41 PM
It's probably good for you. The turpentine gives your arteries and veins a good rinsing out and dissolves the cholesterol plaque.

I just made that up by the way.

Art
--------------------------------
Damn you Artimus! That sounded completely reasonable and i could've believed it and been happy dissolving cholesterol plaque with Canadian Club.

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663492 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 1/2/2013 10:07 PM

Well, that's good to know... since gin tastes to me what I would imagine turpentine to taste like. Or lighter fluid.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663511 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 1/3/2013 12:19 AM
Gin is like drinking a conifer.

Why is Tangueray gin so darn tasty?

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663526 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 1/3/2013 1:01 AM
"It's probably good for you. The turpentine gives your arteries and veins a good rinsing out and dissolves the cholesterol plaque. I just made that up by the way." - Art
--------------------------------
"Damn you Artimus! That sounded completely reasonable and i could've believed it and been happy dissolving cholesterol plaque with Canadian Club." - 2828

------------------

That's how articles in popular health magazines are written. People like me make up stuff off the top of our heads that sounds plausible and we write it all down like it's the proven gospel Scientific truth. Like the sign I saw on a hotel marquee in Arizona one time, "Eat more lamb! 10,000 Coyotes can't be wrong!"

"It's true! You can google it!"

Art

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663549 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 1/3/2013 8:54 AM
It's cold and wet here and I could use a little extra warmth!

Cold and wet, lol! It's cold and DRY here. Why dry? It's too cold for it to be wet! Literally, the water freezes out of the air outside and is burned out of the air by the furnace inside. It's 12 degrees F here in Ann Arbor, we likely won't see above freezing for months. If you don't use moisturizer your skin will get so dry it'll literally crack open (especially your hands).

My wife would LOVE cold and wet... that would mean it would be at least 20 degrees warmer here!

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663904 of 749477
Subject: Re: Getting rid of your xmas type tree Date: 1/4/2013 1:41 AM
Literally, the water freezes out of the air outside and is burned out of the air by the furnace inside.

The latter part is not true. What you have contending is two only-vaguely-related numbers: partial pressure and relative humidity.

What your body cares about in terms of moisture content in the air is relative humidity. And that's the amount of water that IS in the air, as a percentage of how much COULD BE in the air. As temperature goes up (e.g. as air coming into your house gets heated), the amount of water that COULD BE in the air goes up with it. But that doesn't automatically introduce more water into the air, so relative humidity tends to go down.

Combating that is partial pressure - the portion of air pressure that is attributable to any specific gas, e.g. water vapor. As you warm a certain mass of air in a certain volume of space, the partial pressure (of EVERY gas in the mix) goes up, but in the temperature range we're talking about water-vapor pressure goes up a bit faster. Since the water-vapor pressure is higher in the house than outside, water vapor will tend to escape from the house; since it's higher to a greater degree than is the case for, say, nitrogen, it will escape faster than other gases.

So at the same time that you wish there were more water in the air in your home, the water that IS in the air in your home is leaving.

But you don't want to stop that completely. Humans are significant sources of water vapor in buildings. Every breath you take, the air you exhale is really close to 100% relative humidity and probably in excess of 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement