UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: theprodigyson Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122  
Subject: Getting Started Date: 10/20/2010 10:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi! My name's Chris and I'm a 22 year old student working on my bachelor's degree. I love math and languages and I'm thinking of getting a degree in engineering, economics, or finance. I still live with my parents and have never taken budgeting or investment very seriously, based on the naive assumption that once I graduate I will have a great paying job handed to me on a silver platter. I have recently realized that this is an untenable position and I want to learn about investing. So I just found this awesome site and spent about 3 hours reading up on the basics.

I have $400 dollars waiting to invest, and I'm looking to invest about 25%-35% of my income to building my nest egg. This will probably equal about $200-$350 a month. (It's not definite because I am a waiter who relies on tips for the bulk of my income.)
Anyway, enough about me...

I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with.

First: In general, since I'm young and not particularly afraid of risk, should I be going balls to the walls to try and increase the size of my nest egg? Or should I be looking to invest in a nice steady Index fund? Would a blend of these two strategies be the best?

Second: Because my parents and myself have very low incomes, I have access to subsidized student loan money. While I'm in school, the federal government pays the interest on these loans. Assuming I go a low-risk investment path, is there any reason why I shouldn't add these funds to my nest egg to get the ball rolling?

Any other investment or financial management feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time!
Chris
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement