UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: LorenCobb Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58787  
Subject: Re: now the reason for the killing spree Date: 12/21/2012 12:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
GH: I am soooo surprised, 'telegraph' somehow, accidentally managed to get his facts wrong.

Actually, there are many ways of ranking the mental health systems of the states. Depending on what you focus on, they give very different results. Tele claimed that Connecticut has the weakest mental health laws, but NAMI (which you quoted) was referring to public funding for mental health. To me those sound like different things.

My state, Colorado, got a grade of "C" from NAMI, despite its truly dismal record. Either they whitewashed Colorado, or somebody fed the researchers some bad data for the study.

One measure which I think really gets at the heart of the problem is public inpatient capacity relative to demand. Because it is calculated relative to demand, it does not discriminate against states with generally good levels of mental health. It counts beds, not dollars, which is one way of adjusting for differing costs of care. Using this measure, Colorado ranks dead last. I don't know where Connecticut ranks.

www.ucdadvocate.com/news/colorado-ranks-16th-in-mental-illne...

When folks are seriously mentally ill, they typically exhaust their families' resources and patience in just a few years. After that there are only four choices: (a) chain them down in an attic, as was done in previous centuries, (b) throw them in prison and let the guards administer "therapy", (c) let them beg for food and live on the streets, or (d) pay for their care in public institutions with tax money.

Here in Colorado, 14 people are turned away from the mental health system for every one treated with public funds. The 14 quickly end up on the streets, and from there they migrate into our prisons and jails -- and that is one reason why Colorado's incarceration rate is so high.

Personally, I favor a system of half-way houses, distinct from addiction recovery homes, which are important but very different. Such a system would build upon each state's existing slender resources in this area. I suspect that when all the costs are fully audited and accounted for, this solution will prove to deliver the best net discounted benefit per public tax dollar expended. Since many of our Colorado homeless are military veterans with serious mental issues, I would also expect the federal VA to make a large annual contribution to the system.

Loren
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement