Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Since I am planning on passing on my Roth to my son anyway (I am 52, he is 14), is there some way of "gifting" all or a portion of my IRA to him now, paying the tax for conversion to Roth at his lower tax rate, since I would be custodian under the uniform gift to minors act, and control the account until he is 21 (or later?). His tax rate would be substantially less than mine now (15% vs 31%), since he is a student. This would, of course, have the effect of setting up a Roth for him now, with substantially more money than the $2000 that is allowed yearly. Thanks.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.