Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi.

I think the answer to the following is implied in the FAQ, but it isn't quite explicit, so I want to make sure I understand it correctly.

I received a gift of stock. I know that my cost basis and holding period are those of the giver. (Its FMV was higher than the cost basis.) My understanding is that I now proceed just like I would with any other gain: the holding period is well over a year, so the income is a long-term capital gain, not income. In other words, it should be taxed through schedule D at the long-term CG rate (20% for me), NOT reported on the 1040 and taxed at my (higher) marginal tax rate. Is that correct?

Thanks so much,

Erik
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I think the answer to the following is implied in the FAQ, but it isn't quite explicit, so I want to make sure I understand it correctly.>>

Thanks for taking the time to look. It's much appreciated by all who answer questions here. It allows you to be more precise with your question (since you have a backround of the issues), which allow us to be a bit more precise with our answers.

<<I received a gift of stock. I know that my cost basis and holding period are those of the giver. (Its FMV was higher than the cost basis.)>>

Right you are...for appreciated stock those are the rules.

<< My understanding is that I now proceed just like I would with any other gain: the holding period is well over a year, so the income is a long-term capital gain, not income.>>

Yup. If your "tacked on" holding period is more than one year, you can sell the shares and realize long term capital gain...even if you only held the shares personally for a few weeks (or even minutes).

<< In other words, it should be taxed through schedule D at the long-term CG rate (20% for me), NOT reported on the 1040 and taxed at my (higher) marginal tax rate. Is that correct?>>

Correct.

See...you read the FAQ better than you thought you did, eh??

Hope this helps...
TMF Taxes
Roy
Print the post Back To Top
Advertisement