Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi. I've read all the informative postings re:Wedding Gifts, but just have to ask everyone about my situation. Any suggestions appreciated!

My fiance and I each have complete households, from the kitchen to the attic. Much has come from deceased realtives, so it is overall of good quality. We will be in American for 3-5 more years tops, before moving to Asia permenantly. For the next several years, my mother has made it clear that she would love for us to borrow those fancy items she recieved as wedding gifts and put them to some use, since she never does anymore - silver coffee sets, fancy platters, cheese trays, etc., etc. So we feel as though there is nothing that we need. When we move to Asia, we are shipping a set list of items (computer, KitchenAid mixer, sewing machine, limited clothing, and books). Our fear is that people will get us nice, meaningful gifts that we won't be able to ship/keep due to space, weight, or fragility.

My fiance and I are both frugal, so asking for gift certificates to restaurants or for trips seems inappropriate to us. We also do not need money in any desperate way. We put forth the idea of asking guests to contribute to a charity if they felt it necessary to give something, but our parents got very upset at the idea. And when I told my grandfather that we didn't want any gifts, he got very depressed. We would rather people get us nothing - their presence on our special day is all we desire - but from the rumblings we can tell that many of our relatives will insist on gifting. I've racked my brain and come up with about 4 things we could register for, but then there go our Christmas and birthday presents to each other for the next year! *grin*

Since our parents are against suggesting a charity (as well as against saying that we will accept no gifts), the only alternative we can come up with is registering for stocks & mutual funds. But this seems rather crass. It's not that we don't want heartfelt gifts, it is that we would feel terrible leaving them behind when we move. My mother suggested telling guests if they ask that we are saving to set up a household in Asia. This might work, but unfortunately many relatives are still under the delusion that our move is simply a pipe dream or will turn out to be only temporary.

Perhaps there is no new advice to be offered, but I certainly hope so!
Thanks, Adrienne
Print the post  

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.