Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My husband and I will be the receivers of a gift from a friend. He will be giving us $25,000. How is the best way to handle this situation for all parties?

He will either cash out some stock or sign the stock over to us.

In addition we have a 14 year old son. Would it be better for some of the money to be given to him instead of one of us?

If the donor gives each my husband and I $10,000, does this qualify for the gift tax exemption? Will my husband and I need to file taxes separtely to avoid taxes?

Finally, we are willing to break up this gift over 2 years to maximize or minimize the benefits if this will reduce taxes.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.