Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If this should be posted to a different board, please let me know.

I may be giving some money to a friend of mine that has hit a rough patch in life. I am not expecting this money to be repaid. Now, this amount of money is going to be *way* under the limit for the Federal Gift Tax (which, if I understand correctly, is $11,000). However, I thought I would ask this question just to be on the safe side.

If I am giving money without expecting any repayment, are there any forms that I (or the receiver of the gift) need to sign from an IRS perspective?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.