Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: GreatWhite One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121572  
Subject: gift to minor and tax question Date: 10/20/1999 10:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I would like to give my 1 yr old nephew a gift of $1000 for college expenses 1n 17-18 years. Can I open a Roth or educational IRA for him? What are the rules for Roth withdrawls for college? Would a roth be "better" than Edu. IRA? Thanks all!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TaxService Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19871 of 121572
Subject: Re: gift to minor and tax question Date: 10/20/1999 1:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I would like to give my 1 yr old nephew a gift of $1000 for college expenses 1n 17-18 years. Can I open a Roth or educational IRA for him? What are the rules for Roth withdrawls for college? Would a roth be "better" than Edu. IRA?

***The child may not have a Roth IRA, unless the child has income from employment. Then the maximum contribution allowed would be 100% of the child's earnings from employment or $2,000 (whichever is less).
There could be no benefit in using your personal Roth because distributions taken for education purposes would have to be taken for use by you, your spouse, your children, or you or your spouse' grandchildren.

A maximum of $500 may be placed into an Education IRA, in any one year. That maximum includes amounts placed in such IRAs by all benefactors. For instance, if there were five benefactors, the maximum each would be able to contribute would be $100. The $500. figure may not be exceeded without triggering penalties.

Another option you have is to use a State Qualified Tuition Program to purchase credits or points. Many of these products have been affording generous returns and the current tuition charged is locked in so it will not be impacted by inflationary pressures.

"Jack"

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement