Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jc37 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 124960  
Subject: Gifting or Selling a house Date: 12/10/2001 5:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I currently live with my parents who don't have substantial income and I have been helping in paying bills, property taxes on the house. The house is owned by my parents and paid off about ten years ago. My question is this:

1. Even though the house is under my parents name, can I claim to be head of household status because I pay for majority (70-80%)of the living expenses, which include credit card bill, utilities, auto/house insurance, property taxes? I don't currently claim them to be my dependent because they do have $10k earned income annunally.
2. They are thinking about giving me the house, but we don't know what's the best way to avoid paying taxes and other fees on this transaction. The house is about their only asset (valued around $100k). How should we do this?

Thanks for all your helps and advices.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.