Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I know that if you donate stocks to a charity you can deduct the current (at time of gift) market price as a charitable contribution and not pay capital gains on the stock. What it you give stocks to a child? Specifically what if I give stock to a child to sell to pay for college expenses? Do I side step the cap gains tax and my child has gains based on the value of the stock at the time of the gift? The value of the stock is < 10K and child is > 18 with no other income.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.