Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I posted this on the discussion board and it was suggested that I post it here.

Is there something legal about gifting to self? I saw a couple of company employees gifting shares to themselves. What about gifting money to yourself? doesn't this seem like a sleezy way to save tax?

If gifting shares is possible, how do you go about doing this (go to etrade, fill what form etc)? If the gift is less than 10K, is it required to file a gift tax return?

what about gifting money/shares to someone outside the US?

thanks for any answers :)
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.