Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rubberthinking Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 22200  
Subject: GIMP? Date: 12/2/2012 11:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Dear Board,

I am new to this board, but an old hand here at the fool. I need some help with how to use GIMP.

I am new to GIMP and not buying photoshop hopefully.

I want to put two photos into one, but dont know how with GIMP to do that.

any help would be appreciated. I am beginning to read the tutorials and the downloadable help sections. I have not yet in the tables of contents seen an explanation of how to put photos into the same collective shot.

TIA,

Dave
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20867 of 22200
Subject: Re: GIMP? Date: 12/2/2012 11:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Not sure what you mean by "putting two photos into one." Do you want to transfer a part of an image into another image, or place two images side by side to create a wider or taller one? Clarifying the attempted task will bring you more answers.

~aj

Author: rubberthinking Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20868 of 22200
Subject: Re: GIMP? Date: 12/2/2012 12:02 PM
AJ,

thanks for asking. I want to put a square small picture....or at least it will be smaller.....into a larger picture in a certain position.....

Dave

Author: rubberthinking Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20869 of 22200
Subject: Re: GIMP? Date: 12/2/2012 12:02 PM
substitute picture with photo.....tia....

Dave

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20870 of 22200
Subject: Re: GIMP? Date: 12/2/2012 4:34 PM
You should be able to open both, use the marquis tool to highlight the smaller one, select "copy", go to the other image and "paste". The use the move tool (I think it's looks like an arrow...I don't have GIMP on this computer so can't check right now) to reposition it where you want it.

Author: rubberthinking Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20871 of 22200
Subject: Re: GIMP? Date: 12/3/2012 11:11 AM
1poorguy,

thanks.....do I have to convert from a JPEG to another format?

Dave

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20872 of 22200
Subject: Re: GIMP? Date: 12/3/2012 1:31 PM
thanks.....do I have to convert from a JPEG to another format?

I'm far from an expert on the nuances of the various formats. Sometimes you have to select mode "RGB" to do some things, sometimes not. However, I am not aware of any reason why you must use JPEG to do what you're asking. The software should be able to "flatten" the image (which basically removes the layer designations and makes it a single image) and save in any format you wish.

1poorguy

Author: rubberthinking Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20873 of 22200
Subject: Re: GIMP? Date: 12/3/2012 2:53 PM
1poorguy,

thanks again.....I am using JPEG images from elsewhere......

the flatten feature is something I have seen....you are now fleshing it out for me......thanks....

I will begin reading the tutorials soon.....

anyone else know about converting photos?

tia

Dave

Author: rubberthinking Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20874 of 22200
Subject: Re: GIMP? Date: 12/4/2012 12:18 PM
1poorguy,

a local young woman who has done a lot of graphics with photoshop told me that when I go to save the program gives me a choice on what format I wish to use.......

as I read I will ask her on a nightly basis for tips.......and coffee.....

....as she works at a local donut store........

Dave

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20875 of 22200
Subject: Re: GIMP? Date: 12/4/2012 3:51 PM
"I will ask her on a nightly basis for tips.......and coffee.....

....as she works at a local donut store......."

... as good an opening as any, I suppose :-)

~aj

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement