Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (42) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58627  
Subject: Re: Perfect Woman 1912 Date: 1/9/2013 6:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Given that I was the OP in this thread, exactly where did I say it was healthy to be fat?

I think that conclusion was left to be drawn by posting the article that the 'perfect woman' of 1912 'never got sick' had 'no defects' etc:

...What qualities did the perfect girl of 1912 possess, you ask? Let us regale you: Aside from standing at 5'7" and weighing a healthy 171 pounds, Miss Elsie rarely ate breakfast, never drank coffee or tea (gasp!), and preferred beefsteak dinners to candy. She also never got sick and didn't feel fear — apparently, in the 1900s, the perfect woman was also a superhero.

While we'll never meet the outdoor-sport-ing, horticulture-ing, beef-eating Scheel, we can imagine that she pulled in many a handsome man — you couldn't expect any less from a woman who didn't "have a single defect."

And this remark:

What we considered to be desireable in 1912 is considered overweight in 2012.

So it is not unreasonable to conclude you feel that today's 'overweight' (or 'fat') 25+ bmi was 'healthy' by yesterday's standards.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (42) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement