Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121095  
Subject: Re: Tax handling of gifts under the annual exemp Date: 3/26/2014 10:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Given that it is possible for you to have multiple IRAs at different brokerage houses, how can Ameritrade decide that your entire RMD must come out of the account that they hold? How do they know that you didn't take the rest of your RMD out of another IRA? This is not something they should be controlling, and so I'd be shopping for another brokerage starting now. I certainly would not wait for another year to see what other restrictions Ameritrade puts into effect.

You raise very reasonable questions.

It happens that I do not have accounts at other brokerage houses. I deliberately closed an IRA at Schwab and merged it into my Ameritrade one to avoid the complications of having two brokerage houses. Furthermore, Schwab said there would never be a service charge on my account provided I kept at least $25,000 in it, which I did, and a few years later they started imposing a service charge anyway, saying the new requirement was for $50,000 minimum. So I was pissed at them. (They did charge commissions for trades; that was not the problem.)

And I had moved from Fidelity to (Aufhauser to) Ameritrade because Fidelity had extremely high commissions and I could not stand that, especially since I was doing Unemotional Growth strategy (not recommended, and I assume no one uses it anymore) that involved a lot of monthly trading. Aufhauser give free trades (up to 20 a month) for a fixed fee of $800/year, so it mattered a lot to me in those days.

But moving accounts from one brokerage to another was such a royal pain that I do not think I will ever do it again. It took many months to effect the transfer. First, they moved the stock. But they forgot the dividends on the stock. So I had them move the dividends, but they forgot the interest on the dividends, etc., etc., etc., ....
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement