Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Given that you can deduct up to $2000 per year due to capital losses, for those that can afford it, wouldn't it makes sense to take at least $2000 per year to invest in a high risk portfolio? It seems to me that this greatly reduces risk because you are guaranteed (and this is the area I am trying to confirm) to not lose all of this money due to the fact that even a complete loss of this investment will reduce your AGI by $2000, which, in turn, will result in less taxes owed or a greater refund. Obviously, the impact and the efficacy of this approach depends upon your tax bracket.

Actually, the net capital loss you can deduct is $3,000 ($1,500 if married filing separately), not $2,000, but otherwise, your point is correct. However, you can actually deduct much larger losses as long as you have capital gains to offset them. It's only the NET capital loss that can't be deducted in one year if it exceeds $3,000. Also, don't forget that if your net capital loss exceeds $3,000, you can carry the excess loss forward.

Angelbuggy, E.A.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.