No. of Recommendations: 71
I wonder what kind of society we'd have if lying while campaigning for public office was treated the same as perjury.

The VP debate went better than I expected. I almost expected Joe, being the off-the-cuff blurter that he can be, to call Ryan a liar outright. While this would have been true, it would have offended most Americans who do not follow politics that closely and simply don't know how much they're being lied to on a regular basis. As accurate as it might have been, it wouldn't play in Peoria.

Still, the Repugs are making as much hay as they can out of "disrespect".

Really? Repuglicans lie regularly and about everything, from their own record, to their opponent's record, to rejigging tax returns to fit a previously stated number, to scientific fact about whether a woman can get pregnant from a "legitimate rape".

Lying is the ultimate form of disrespect. There is no shame or disrespect in calling people on it. It's far too easy for people to get away with it.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Lying is the ultimate form of disrespect.
Like when Obama said he'd renegotiate NAFTA?
How's that new kind of politics working for you?

I gotta tell you - the "ultimate form of disrespect" is to lie about the lying. Think about it.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I almost expected Joe, being the off-the-cuff blurter that he can be, to call Ryan a liar outright.

He almost did.

"I wish he would just tell the... be a little more candid."

"That's a bunch of malarkey."

"That's a bunch of stuff."

Calling him a liar outright would have been impolite and impolitic.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Both sides in politics skirt the truth by making statements that have both truth and projection in all claims, the fine line is its hard to call something lie that's partly true, (what do you do, say that 72% true?) its a game both sides play.

In fairness Factcheck was harder on Obama and Romney in their debate, and so far its pretty even in the VP debate on fact checks.

To say the right lies is dishonest unless you say the left lies.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I would love to see politicians forced to actually carry out their 'promises' or be summarily kicked out when they backed out of what they promised once in office. I know that is unrealistic, but it would send a message that we vote based on what you told us...not what you want to do and 'saying whatever you want to get into office' is not allowed anymore.

All politicians lie...but we should not be surprised since so many of them were lawyers. ; )

Icemann
The VP debate went better than I expected. I almost expected Joe, being the off-the-cuff blurter that he can be, to call Ryan a liar outright. While this would have been true, it would have offended most Americans who do not follow politics that closely and simply don't know how much they're being lied to on a regular basis. As accurate as it might have been, it wouldn't play in Peoria.

Clearly you haven't seen the fact checking sites today...they are ripping Biden apart on his outright lies...like Benghazi never asking asking for additional security.

And frankly if perjury was such a bad crime why did Democrats claim it wasn't impeachable back in 1998?
And frankly if perjury was such a bad crime why did Democrats claim it wasn't impeachable back in 1998?

Maybe it should be. Lying to the electorate and penalizing for it shouldn't be a partizan issue, but I understand you have a lot more to lose, because your side does it constantly. The entire core of your philosophical platform is built on it.
"Lying is the ultimate form of disrespect."
Like when Obama said he'd renegotiate NAFTA?
How's that new kind of politics working for you?

I gotta tell you - the "ultimate form of disrespect" is to lie about the lying. Think about it.

Hey, I never said Dems don't lie, it makes me angry when they do. But your side does it with a regularity that demonstrates sociopathy.

What's sad is you counter with a pretty feeble example as if the existence of that example exonerates you and yours for your own lying. Classic.

If lying for electoral office was punishable, it would apply to both sides and it would make the electorate a lot more accurately informed. Why would you oppose that? Think about it.
I would love to see politicians forced to actually carry out their 'promises' or be summarily kicked out when they backed out of what they promised once in office.

Promises are a different category. Promises should be based on facts (in which case promises might become more accurate), but facts, or our understanding of them, can change.

It's the current and past factual accuracy that concerns me more. Getting rid of historical revisionism, such as pretending Reagan never raised taxes, or that tax cuts spur revenue (greater than they incur debt), or pretending women can't get pregnant from "legitimate rape", or that "evolution is from hell"...

Allowing that crap is degrading our society worse than any drug problem.
But your side does it ...
Too funny. As if I had a side...

What's sad is you counter with a pretty feeble example ...
Getting caught outright is feeble?

Methinks you misunderstand my point.
Politicians lie and NOBODY CARES. Each party says hurray for our side. You yourself notice this while at the same time saying But your side does it with a regularity that demonstrates sociopathy

Which is to say, Hurray for our side.
Fwiw: http://danteworlds.laits.utexas.edu/circle8a.html

If lying for electoral office was punishable, it would apply to both sides and it would make the electorate a lot more accurately informed.
MU-AH-HA-HA-HA!!! Who is going to enforce that?
Seriously, do you ever read history? You are calling for la Grande Terreu and Madame Guillotine.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Politicians lie and NOBODY CARES. Each party says hurray for our side. You yourself notice this while at the same time saying But your side does it with a regularity that demonstrates sociopathy

Which is to say, Hurray for our side.

No, this is the same BS that allows flat-earthers to have an opposing view...you pretend if both sides engage in *any* lying they are both equally guilty. This allows Repuglicans to engage in far more lying because "hey, both sides do it".

Too funny. As if I had a side...

Well, you carry water consistently for...too funny indeed.
"This allows Repuglicans to engage in far more lying because "hey, both sides do it"."

Obama has lied to you from day 1 and you say nothing, this kind of ruins your credibility to call others liars.
Well, you carry water consistently for...too funny indeed.
You really need to get some perspective.
Try this:
http://boards.fool.com/looks-like-obama-is-taking-lessons-fr...

you pretend if both sides engage in *any* lying they are both equally guilty.
Wow. I thought that was your position -> prosecute them all.
But I see my mistake now. Hurray for our side!!!!

Hypocrisy, thy name is Jon Wiest.
Some of the twitter comments are pure comic gold. Follow the comments on this YouTube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCtemaHgjyA&feature=youtu......

"Folks, who do you trust? Me with my failing hair plugs, loose dentures and maniacal laughter, or your lying eyes?"
Wow. I thought that was your position -> prosecute them all.

It is.

Hypocrisy, thy name is Jon Wiest.

Duplicity, thy name is WuLong
I wonder what kind of society we'd have if lying while campaigning for public office was treated the same as perjury.

I assume you've not read much of anything today.
Duplicity, thy name is WuLong
How? Exactly what have I said that is duplicitous? Exactly nothing.

Welcome to The Big Lie, featuring Jon Wiest.
How? Exactly what have I said that is duplicitous?

Rephrasing and spinning what I said.

1) Yes, I would like both sides penalized for lying.
2) This doesn't mean I can't point out Repugs do it more...a LOT more, like, constantly.

You spin this to suggest I'm only interested in penalizing one side.* That's lying, but I'm not surprised you can't tell the difference.

Welcome to The Big Lie, featuring Jon Wiest.

Welcome to the Karl Rove School of rephrasing, starring WuLong.

-----------
* Ironically, if there was such a penalty, almost no current Republicans could run for office, so the net effect is that currently most of the penalties would be on one side, but that's not my problem, it's yours.
This was a huge strategic loss for Team Obama. Biden was very agressive and has the base pretty fired up. To those people who have not had the cheery experience of dealing with the petty, mean, dishonest, nasty and just plain stupid left, they were probably surprised by Biden's snark and general weirdness.

Biden PO'ed the two groups that he really needed to sell. Middle aged women and younger voters. The low point was when they are talking about Benghazi, an issue that is still up in the air, and Biden is giggling like a drunken fool.

I am beginning to think that BOTH sides are trying to throw this one. Romney makes a dumb move picking Ryan in the first place and Biden goes to a national level debate behaving like a dunken buffoon.
"? Repuglicans lie regularly and about everything,"

And the Dems don't? if you believe that, let me tell you about that bridge in Brooklyn I have to sell.
"Biden is giggling like a drunken fool."

He looked like a complete idiot. Or as my grandma used to say, "there's no fool, like an old fool."

And the Dems don't? if you believe that, let me tell you about that bridge in Brooklyn I have to sell.

Sorry. I sold it last week to a Republican who thinks Romney is going to "save" Social Security and Medicare.

AM
Biden PO'ed the two groups that he really needed to sell. Middle aged women and younger voters. The low point was when they are talking about Benghazi, an issue that is still up in the air, and Biden is giggling like a drunken fool.

I don't know what the heck were you looking at, but take this as a valuable lesson in life. A truly honest person can 'NEVER' sit still and be quite while facing a mockery of truth or the "stuff".

Joe wiped the floor with Ryan and you know it. Ryan looked like a clueless kid who just let go of his mommy's hand and now looking around like a lost puppy.

Was Joe condescending? YES! Did Ryan deserve it?

Hell yes! That's what honest people do, put the records straight. Cowards sit still and nod in agreement. This is a fact, players just nod along and can't speak up, Joe spoke for all of us. I thank him for his service.

Romney won the first debate hands down and our VP had his way with Ryan on the second one. I don't expect you to admit this, but it is the truth. But you wouldn't know anything about that would you?
Romney won the first debate hands down and our VP had his way with Ryan on the second one. I don't expect you to admit this, but it is the truth. But you wouldn't know anything about that would you?

Truth?

Well, the polls all had Romney as a really big winner

the polls all had Ryan as a little winner

I'd say your obvious is not all that obvious, except of course to you

Frankly, I was switching back and forth between baseball and the debate and went to bed feeling Ryan got beaten badly

The next day, I watched the debate in full. Biden did a really bad job of not coming off as a real jerk.

Did he 'win' ? Well he got more talking time, and he stepped all over Ryan to speak, and he was mean spirited and appeared the more forceful person.

Still except for a few Dems like yourself, who seem utterly lost, the consensus is more and more that Biden has caused a lot of problems outside the base.

So enjoy, but open your thoughts to what a win actually means.
You spin this to suggest I'm only interested in penalizing one side.*
Gee. When you use words like Repug I wonder where I might get that idea.
Get over yourself, child.
Gee. When you use words like Repug I wonder where I might get that idea.
Get over yourself, child.

Weaselling out of a point because of a name, eh? Sticks and stones, child.
the polls all had Ryan as a little winner

The same polls you guys were whining about just a few days ago?

Frankly, I was switching back and forth between baseball and the debate and went to bed feeling Ryan got beaten badly

You first impression was spot on. You see when we speak candid, we human tend to tell the the truth, sometimes even subconsciously. You should know what is right or wrong as an adult, you should not need Fox news to tell you who won or lost or who was disrespectful. You should have an independent mind. Try it, its liberating.

So enjoy, but open your thoughts to what a win actually means.

A Win is not measured by Polls. A win is measured by the substance, energy, passion, " deep first hand knowledge of issues" and best of all the substantive argument to move voters.

Biden is well known for gaffs, but he is not known for telling lies.

Ryan is!

I don't consider myself a Democrat or Republican. There are somethings I'm liberal about and then there are some where I'm conservative.

Listen, Ryan had lots of memorised lines just like Romney. Biden had years of knowledge and first hand experience backing up his arguments. Laughing or not, he told it the way it is. Ryan was wiped out, whining about his laughing or whatnot does not help you, sorry.
Advertisement