Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: GabbyG Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55  
Subject: Re: Questions about NMR ... Date: 8/17/1999 9:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Glantor,

Do you think part or most of NMR's impressive runup is due to takeover rumors?

No, Cognizant spun-off Nielen Media Research last year (July 31st). NMR stock started at 8 dollars as an indepedent company. It climbed to 30 dollars before any talk of buyouts about a month ago.

If so, and the rumors prove unfounded, do you think the stock price would plummet? (from what I've seen, that price tends to hold stable regardless of the market's vicissitudes).

The price of the stock would have continued to climb due to the nature of NMR's business. Most of the transactions are long-term contracts over five-seven years. But that has become a moot point due to the buy-out announced yesterday.

Would you sell if a takeover were announced, or would it depend on the takeover company?

It would depend on the takeover company. VNU, the company acquiring NMR, is an international information company. I have started a preliminary financial analysis of VNU but have not reached a sound conclusion. General information can be found at www.vnu.com

Do you think the stock is too close to its high and ready for a natural pullback once that high is surpassed?

I think NMR would have reached 38-40 before year's end. VNU recognized the potential of the company and paid a premium ($37.75). The name Nielsen probably had something to do with this premium.

(One bonus question: Why isn't this board more active?!)

Good question. One that I cannot answer.

Good questions! Any feedback, from a financial prospective, on VNU would be great.

Gary
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement