Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (61) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: activeREinvestor Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 281  
Subject: Re: Rich Dad, Dumb Dad? Date: 9/7/2006 6:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
GlennRim,

Many of your replies raised useful points IMHO.

When you wrote the following you were offering your opinion:

Actually, I own the game both computer and card-table versions. I bought them simultaneously, in an effort to find out if he really had anything to offer to a novice. The games are interesting, but hardly educational. They are unrealistic in many ways. They don't represent reality in any meaningful way. I will admit that the card-table version is somewhat enjoyable to play, especially with a few folks who have some time to waste. The computer version (both 101 and 202) is rather the opposite, in my opinion, it's boring, simplistic, and silly. I think they are nothing more than a game. They lack an ability to teach anything of value about finances.

Having watched 1 person in detail and a few others more at a distance I can honestly say that the games and the books have changed their financial lives. Much more so than any more formal text on finances. Not sure if they would have had any interest in reading a more formal or classical text on finances.

The game (101 is all I am talking about) is not going to change the world for everyone. You and I are clearly two people who were past the level the game targets. It does change the world for some so the value is more than just a way to pass time.

The fact alone that there are a number of clubs around the world who play and engage in discussions about how the game concepts play out in real life is enough of an example.

No text or game will ever be complete or perfect for educating a person on the world of finance. A game or book that gets someone started and otherwise motivated to follow up with more study is a great contribution IMHO.

John Corey
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (61) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Implications of the Ballad of Ted Plotz
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement