UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: NITEjar Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 23  
Subject: Global Crossing Date: 3/10/1999 5:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am a follower of Global Crossing Ltd (GBLX), an undersea telephone cable operator. According to SEC filings made on 2/5/99 CIBC is beneficial owner of 22.39% of the issued stock of Global Crossing - 97,176,800 shares after the 2 for 1 split earlier this week. Current price of 38.625 gives a market valuation of approx US$3.75 billion. Whilst these may be restricted shares the current stock price of CIBC does not appear to have taken the recent doubling of the GBLX stock price into consideration.

Am I missing something obvious here? Perhaps one of you Fools north of the border can illuminate a more southerly Fool!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: NooNoo Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7 of 23
Subject: Re: Global Crossing Date: 3/14/1999 9:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
NITEjar,

I'm sorry for not responding sooner. I was trying to find the SEC filings you talked about, however, I was unable to access this information because of technical difficulties at their end. I will try to give you my theory of why CIBC's share are not responding to the increases in the value of Global Corssing's shares.

According to CIBC's 1998 annual report they have been providing advice and capital to Global Crossing Limited since 1996. This included a co-lead on an US$800 million senior note issue, a lead on an US$800 million project financial bank facility, participation in an US$300 million initial public offering underwriting and an ownership position in the Company.

Therefore some of the shares you speak about do belong to CIBC, however I suspect that most of the shares are actually attached to Street Certificates. Street Certificates which are stock certificates made out in the name of an investment deale (in this case CIBC where they participated in the initial public offering) and indorsed so they can be freely negotiated and accepted for delivery between investment dealers. These Street Certificates may change hands many times with no change in registration being made.

Also, CIBC manages $121 billion in assets for other people and some of these shares may be included in these funds.

Finally CIBC have a disastrous forth Quarter in 1998 which (thankfully) ended 31 October 1998. Earnings per share for this quarter fell to a penny (a penny with a maple leaf on it). Most of the problem occurred with the CIBC World Markets division and would have masked any benefits of holding Global Crossing. The operations of CIBC World Markets has since turned a round and CIBC reported earnings per share for the first quarter of 1999 of 72 cents only 4 cents lower than last year.

In summary, I think that it was the combination of the above that is has caused the increase in the value of Global Crossing to be not reflected in the price of CIBC's shares.

Thanks for bring Global Crossing to our attention. It is nice to know that the CIBC is picking winners even during bad times.

NooNoo

Author: NooNoo Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8 of 23
Subject: Re: Global Crossing Date: 3/17/1999 9:17 PM
NITEjar,

I still have not seen the SEC filing you talk about, however up here in Canada the news of the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce's involvement with Global Crossing is on all the major television networks. According to the National Post, you were right, CIBC owns 17.02%, or 70.2 million shares of Global Crossing worth $3.62 billion(US). This news seems to have caught many investors off guard, including me, as the shares jumped $1.40 on the Toronto Stock Exchange after the news was announced.

Now, if I can only figure out why it only jumped a $1.40 and not $14, the estimated per share worth of Global Crossing to CIBC shareholders. Maybe it is because CIBC can not realize any gains until 13 August 1999 as United States securities laws forbids affiliates of an issuer from selling their positions within an year. After 13 August 1999, CIBC is restricted to selling off 1% of its total holdings per quarter.

NooNoo

Author: NITEjar Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9 of 23
Subject: Re: Global Crossing Date: 3/18/1999 10:31 AM
NooNoo
Thanks for your comments - I saw the National Post article yesterday, which if nothing else has drawn the attention of the world to CIBC's holding in Global Crossing, and the "hidden reserve" in the balance sheet, which hopefully will begin to be reflected in the stock price.

Watch this space!

NITEjar

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement