UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: hawkd9447 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Global Funds Date: 4/8/2007 6:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Are global funds to risky for retirement investing? The reason I'm asking is because I found the following two funds on a website called:"
Market Watch by Dow Jones" listed under the "top 25 global funds".
The 1-year returns seem phenomenonal.

DPCRX
Dreyfus Prem Gr Ch;R
40.96 53.40%

OBCHX
Oberweis:China Opptys
22.54 46.74%

Print the post Back To Top
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56682 of 76418
Subject: Re: Global Funds Date: 4/8/2007 6:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
You can get very burned by chasing last year's hot fund.

OFten all the good news is out in that fund.....

One year, one fund outperforms...the next year another....

Don't be fooled into thinking one manager is going to be lucky year after year....sometimes it is just one lucky stock that gives all that performance.

t.

Author: MarinBMWZ4 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56684 of 76418
Subject: Re: Global Funds Date: 4/8/2007 6:38 PM
I would rather take a 15% return year in and year out than a high flyer. That said, I do have a small portion, @ 10% of my funds invested in specific sector funds, such as an India fund and a Mediterranean fund. In addition, I have some international funds that are specifically NON US companies, both large and small cap. It's prudent to have exposure worldwide.

MZ4

Author: joelxwil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56685 of 76418
Subject: Re: Global Funds Date: 4/8/2007 8:28 PM
OBCHX is an excellent fund. For a bit more diversification in the emerging markets area, consider JAOSX, UMEMX, and LZOEX. There are also some regional or single country funds, such as EUROX and MINDX.

Just watch and if the fund begins to tank, dump it. Watch the charts.

Of course, if you want to trade, consider UUPIX and UNPIX. I have, made a bit of money in those two, but they bear close watching.

Author: Hohum77 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56691 of 76418
Subject: Re: Global Funds Date: 4/9/2007 1:28 AM
From Yahoo! Finance here's the
Annual Total Return (%) for the same category as OBCHX

Year    Category	
2006 35.37
2005 21.28
2004 13.07
2003 54.22
2002 -8.95
2001 -1.48
2000 -24.58
1999 73.30
1998 -5.21
1997 -30.09

The last 4 years the category has had great returns, but can
it make it 5 years in a row?

Hohum

Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56699 of 76418
Subject: Re: Global Funds Date: 4/9/2007 12:04 PM
Are global funds to risky for retirement investing?

As to your question - no more so that any international fund. "Global" simply means that that it is an international investment that includes some domestic stock. "International" means no domestic stock. As such, Global funds can be more conservative than a straight international fund.

I would not put all my retirement money in a global fund but 10-40% in a well diversified global fund would not be a bad option. Just make sure it is a broad-based and well diversified fund - many have too much emerging markets.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement