UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Frankenfish Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 50  
Subject: Global Investing Date: 11/5/2006 5:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I found the chapter on global investing to be very interesting. I dont doubt that there is a lot of value beyond the US borders, but I wouldn't know how to start sniffing it out. I own stocks that are at either partly or mostly international, but I hadn't really been seeking them out.

Nice coincidence that there is now a Global Gains newsletter. I'll give the free trial a spin in a week or so to see if its anything that would make sense for me.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32 of 50
Subject: Re: Global Investing Date: 11/5/2006 8:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Since I really like to visit the companies before I buy them if at all possible, I only invest in US individual stocks. My returns have been very good over since I started my IRA in 1980.

My wife has a good allocation to Global investing through her CREF Retirement funds.

Kahuna,CFA

Author: brentvoss One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35 of 50
Subject: Re: Global Investing Date: 11/13/2006 10:58 PM
Recommendations: 0
Yeah, Buffett historically hasn't seen much sense in trying to "strut-his-stuff" in the international markets when he can find plenty of understandable value here. Well, times, they are a chang'n and Buffett is often seeking international assets: PetroChina, IMC, huge(at one time) foreign currency position, more foreign government bonds than US Treasuries, large utility in the UK, buying the securities of US companies in foreign currencies among numerous other smaller foreign commitments.
When I bought my Toyota Tundra in 2002, Toyota Motors stock was around $45/share. About 5 years later, it's $120. There were two reasons I didn't buy at $45. 1) It's an automaker 2) It's a foreign company.
Both categories are not known to be Buffett style. Therefore I missed something that I actually understood quite well: Toyota products are best-in-class and will continue to gain market share.

While not seeking foreign companies for my portfolio, I will actively seek domestic multi-nationals with strong brands and extensive foreign exposure. Future "eye-popping" economic growth will largely occur beyond our borders.

brentvoss

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement