Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mrparrotfez Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7313  
Subject: gluing paper long term Date: 8/8/2007 7:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I need to glue some paper together as uniformly as possible (a complete glue coating). Problem: rubber cement, over time discolours and becomes brittle. The paper has to be white, so any long-term discolouration will show.

Any suggestions?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: StBridgit Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6442 of 7313
Subject: Re: gluing paper long term Date: 8/8/2007 8:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Sounds like decoupage medium is your best bet. Go to a craft store and you will find several brand selections--they should all work equally well.

Good luck!

StB.

Author: isewquilts2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6443 of 7313
Subject: Re: gluing paper long term Date: 8/8/2007 8:55 PM
Recommendations: 2
Can you use materials meant for scrapbooking? They are acid-free and safe from discoloration. I am thinking specifically of the glue dots or the monoadhesive tape that comes in very narrow widths in small dispensers.

A trip to a scrapbooking/craft store (ie Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc) may be helpful. An artist supply store may also have the type of glue/adhesive you need.

Let us know what you come up with. I'm curious too.

isewquilts

Author: mrparrotfez Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6444 of 7313
Subject: Re: gluing paper long term Date: 8/10/2007 12:21 AM
We have a couple of those craft places in town. Next time I'm in that area, I'll ask them, and look into the decoupage stuff.

In my case, it has to be full coverage. I am gluing some paper together, and it needs to not warp the paper. What it is, okay, is there is a baseball game (played with cards and dice) called Strat-O-Matic Baseball. I've loved it since I was 11 (1974). Anyway, there's a card I am missing in one of my sets, the 1971 set, and it happens to be hard to find. I was able to get someone to scan it and send it to me, which was great, but the cards are two-sided--plus, they're about 80#. So I need to glue both sides of this to another spare card I have laying around--but the glue needs to hold up long term. I learned recently when I dug the cards out that some cards I did this way with rubber cement...well, it discoloured and looks hideous.

So it's really kind of a stupid thing hardly anyone else would care about, but it's a little piece of my childhood. You know how it is.

Author: mrparrotfez Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6445 of 7313
Subject: Re: gluing paper long term Date: 8/10/2007 12:23 AM
One thing I can share with you all, by the way, about getting rid of stuff rather than gluing stuff: GooGone. That stuff is superb. I have removed old price tags that had been stuck to paperbacks for twenty years--without damaging the cover. The only problem with it is that you have to be careful what you touch afterward. Wash your hands real good, because this stuff dissolves anything that is remotely gluey. Such as keyboard labels.

Author: Stockbuyer2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6446 of 7313
Subject: Re: gluing paper long term Date: 8/10/2007 12:42 AM
Have you thought about getting some clear contact paper, putting them right sides out (backs together), then putting them between the contact paper and trimming the edges?

Stockbuyer2

Author: mrparrotfez Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6447 of 7313
Subject: Re: gluing paper long term Date: 8/10/2007 2:28 AM
SB, that's one option I considered. I wasn't sure how well the contact paper adhesive would hold up long-term. One benefit here is that since I can print as many copies of the card images as I want, there's no harm in experimenting except the minor cost of supplies.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement