Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 185  
Subject: gluten-free breakfast Date: 2/26/2012 11:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Lately I'm enjoying Bob's Red Mill "Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal," consisting of whole brown rice, buckwheat, corn, and sorghum. It's the consistency of grits and needs to cook longer than old-fashioned oatmeal. I cook 1/4 cup in a cup of unsweetened, unflavored almond milk in my very small Le Creuset (heavy iron) saucepan with a couple grinds of sea salt and 1 Tbsp each dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, ground golden flax seeds, hemp seeds, and organic half & half. It tastes rich and, for cereal, is filling, and, er, keeps you regular ;-) I enjoyed mine this morning with some dark French roast coffee and a cup of 100% carrot juice. And my supplements.

I also like oatmeal cooked in almond milk with grated apple, a few raisins, and a pinch each of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and sea salt. Yup, it;s like pumpkin pie, and no sweetener needed in addition to the fruit.

I'm also making crustless quiche these days, cut into 6 wedges, it makes a lot of quick, 30-secs-in-the microwave-while-blithering-in-the-kitchen breakfasts. My husband loves it, too. And we don't miss the crust, which I used to think was my favorite part of quiche.

CRUSTLESS QUICHE

couple large pats of butter or equivalent olive oil or coconut oil
box of frozen chopped spinach, thawed, OR 2/3 bunch of fresh chard or big bag of spinach or 1/2 bunch of broccoli, chopped--whatever veggie(s) you like
2/3 leek, chopped OR 1/2 medium onion or 6-8 scallions
OPTIONAL: one or more of the following, chopped--a few mushrooms, 1/2 fennel bulb, 1/4 bell pepper, a few artichoke hearts, precooked bacon, ham or pancetta
5-6 eggs
6-8 oz meltable cheese (bag o' shredded Mexican cheese, cheddar, jarlsberg, muenster, whatever you got, maybe a little sprinkle of parmesan/romano as well
pinch of nutmeg
a few grinds of black pepper

(1) Preheat oven to 350F and butter a 9" round cake pan.

(2) Sauté veggies in butter/oil and cook till soft, evaporating the liquid.

(3) Beat eggs and stir in cheese(s).

(4) Slowly stir in the warm veggie mixture and a few dashes of nutmeg and grinds of black pepper, then scoop into the buttered cake pan and bake for 1/2 hour.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement