Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 18154  
Subject: GM Recall? Date: 6/4/2013 5:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
How many on this Board remember the Pinto fiasco? Ford certainly did drop the ball on that one (i.e., Toyota), and is just getting over that hump which occurred many years ago. Well, it appears that GM is now in that quandary with its Jeep Grand Cherokee and Liberty models. See: http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/blog--chrysler-denies-f...

This attitude may be good for Ford, since Ford has now learned its lesson.

Donna
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JustMee01 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17595 of 18154
Subject: Re: GM Recall? Date: 6/4/2013 5:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
You mean Chrysler, not GM.

Ironically, Ford has its own gas tank recall at the moment. That's curious. Perhaps the feds have been probing gas tank issues industry wide? IDK. It's just strange that both pop up at the same time.

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/ford-fuel-tank-recall-affec...

Peter

Author: jamesp717 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17596 of 18154
Subject: Re: GM Recall? Date: 6/4/2013 9:13 PM
Yeah , read the news today not happy but what can you do. Hopefully they got it in time. Can the cost of a recall like this be estimated or do we have to wait and see what it will cost F and its share holders down the line ?

James

Author: TMFBreakerRob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17597 of 18154
Subject: Re: GM Recall? Date: 6/4/2013 9:42 PM
Can the cost of a recall like this be estimated or do we have to wait and see what it will cost F and its share holders down the line ? -- James

Financial cost:

You'd need to know:

* how much time does it take to determine if that specific vehicle has the problem

* how complex is it to fix (including what needs to be taken apart/assembled and what new parts are needed. Also, how to be sure the repair is done correctly

* with any recall, there are costs associated with repeated attempts to get people to bring in the vehicle

* Will the Company provide the bottom line? Probably not, unless it's really a monumental sum. Otherwise, it'll be buried in overall warranty costs that are shared each quarter.

Other: What's the cost to Ford due to the impact on consumer opinion and how this affects whether this product.... or other Ford products.... remains on buying evaluation lists. We as shareholders will never see this data.

Rob

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17598 of 18154
Subject: Re: GM Recall? Date: 6/4/2013 10:38 PM
Such a unique experience when Ford has a recall.

My question....what fascination does Ford have with Fire? It seems to be an issue with many of their product recalls for many years. Not that they have many recalls, heaven forbid.

It's only a gas tank, and before that, it was only engine fires, contained within the engine compartment. Nothing really serious to worry about. It's not like they has a Costco rubber floor mat stuck on an accelerator pedal, nothing that bad.

Author: jamesp717 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17599 of 18154
Subject: Re: GM Recall? Date: 6/4/2013 10:42 PM
Thanks Rob, guess the real cost will be in PR. Like I said hope they got it early enough to prevent any serious incidents and bad PR.

James

Author: jamesp717 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17600 of 18154
Subject: Re: GM Recall? Date: 6/4/2013 10:49 PM
Recommendations: 1
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/06/04/the-truth-a...

Takes alittle of the sting out of it !

James

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17601 of 18154
Subject: Re: GM Recall? Date: 6/4/2013 10:53 PM
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/06/04/the-truth-a......

Takes alittle of the sting out of it !

James

Why is that?

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17602 of 18154
Subject: Re: GM Recall? Date: 6/5/2013 12:29 AM
Recommendations: 1
The story is that Ford is voluntarily recalling its vehicles, whereas Chrysler refuses to do so. We shall see what the Feds do for Chrysler. In the interim, the more time elapses due to Chrysler's attitude, the less confidence the general public will have in that automaker. Hooray for Ford for taking the bull by the horns and ridding itself of the problem.

Donna

Author: jamesp717 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17603 of 18154
Subject: Re: GM Recall? Date: 6/5/2013 7:09 AM
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/06/04/the-truth-a...

Hopefully this link works

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/06/04/another-for...

This one too

James

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17604 of 18154
Subject: Re: GM Recall? Date: 6/5/2013 4:02 PM
Lordy, Lordy, Lordy!!! The news media is having a field day with this one. (CNN, MSNBC, etc.) In addition, they are obtaining feedback from individuals regarding this problem. Now, I wonder what Chrysler is going to do. Quite frankly, I am having fun with this one. Glad it's not Ford.

Donna

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement