Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: Re: Speaking of joints Date: 4/26/2006 7:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Go for it, Joe. I have arthritic old knees that aren't ready yet for replacement, and I can hardly wait till the doctor gives the go-ahead. I've had arthoscopic surgery twice on one of them for a torn meniscus.

DH walks with his cronies on the boardwalk 3 or 4 miles every morning. It drives me nuts that I slow him down if I go along with him, and that I can only walk 1/2 a mile or so if I do go with him. On bad days I go up and down stairs one by one like a two year old. I don't try to go on trips to the zoo with the grandkids because too much walking is involved.

The longer you wait, the harder it'll be to recover muscle strength. I've met many people who've had hips or knees replaced, and not one of them said they regreted having it done. Aside from no longer being in constant pain, they were able to become active again. Wouldn't that cheer you up? If you come down to our boardwalk or go to one of the indoor shopping malls that opwn early to allow "mall walking," you'll meet lots of people who remind me of the bionic man (remember him?) One guy I met had 2 new knees and 2 new hips.

I did have a cataract removed a couple of years ago. One day later I could see again, and better than I could in years!

One thought to put in the back of your mind: up until the end of 2005, Medicare covered as much physical therapy as your doctor thought he should prescribe. Starting In January of 2006, it's now limited to some pittance that covers a lot less than you'll need after a knee replacement - something like $1,400/year as I recall. Physical therapy is crucial to a good recovery from knee or hip replacement, and I hope you can afford to pay for some out-of-pocket when the Medicare allotment gets used up.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Trini
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement