Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PipneyJane Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7313  
Subject: Go the Craft Bug back!! Date: 7/23/2004 8:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
When I was a teenager, I got heavily bitten by the crafting bug. My best achievement was in 1987/88: knitted 4 sweaters, crocheting one and doing half a dozen small cross-stitch embroideries (most were initials for friends). That was also the period I tatted half a collar, made my patchwork blocks and did most of the 30x18 inch "Simpson's Gap" needlepoint (still unfinished).

What killed the bug was moving to Britain for work and leaving most of my equipment to be shipped over separately. I actually went through a period of mourning! It was 18 months before I saw my craft stuff again. Throw in badly lit apartments and the bug became a shadow of its former self. Occasionally, I'd persevere with a sweater. The drive finally left me when I courted repetition strain injury during my accounting finals - it even hurt to knit. My last two sweaters took 6 years between them. In fact, I've done most of the work on the second one since February (only the neck to go).

I think something has happened since I found this Board: I have thought more about knitting, browsed more websites and bought more craft equipment than I had done in the previous 5 years. That includes half a dozen vintage knitting pattern books (I'm into 1930's and 1940's styles).

Fast forward to this month. We were in Germany visiting my SIL, when I spied a yarn shop. 20 minutes and lots of hand gestures later, I was the proud owner of 12 balls of knitting worsted weight merino wool in a soft pale blue. I just couldn't resist. Now, I'm already 5 inches into knitting it into a sweater, using a pattern that dates from 1935.

The bug is definitely back. Thank you all for reinfecting me. :o)

- Pam
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LtUhura Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3048 of 7313
Subject: Re: Go the Craft Bug back!! Date: 7/23/2004 3:06 PM
Recommendations: 1
I want to thank everyone here for leading me back to my earliest love, needlepoint, and for getting me to pick up knitting needles again. I also know that there is no shame in admitting you just don't like a craft, either, so I've given away all my counted cross stitch materials.

Uhura

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3049 of 7313
Subject: Re: Go the Craft Bug back!! Date: 7/23/2004 3:13 PM
Recommendations: 2
I also know that there is no shame in admitting you just don't like a craft,

Indeed. Some years ago, I tried smocking. I figured since I'd done needlepoint, crewel, cross-stitch and assorted hand-sewing, it'd be a natural.

The first day of the class, the owner/teacher said "some of you will love smocking, and some of you will hate it."

I hated it. I made a lovely dress for my daughter which took hours and hours to hem since there was so much material. Took a picture of it the first time she wore it -- which was to school. She came home with ketchup and red markers on the front of it. Not making her anything like that again.

I realized that if I wanted to have something smocked for myself, it would either have volumes of material (which is not a flattering look for me) or do something with a smocked insert. That would mean figuring out how much space was desired, then extrapolate that into the size that would accommodate the pleating, do the pleating, do the smocking and still have to make the <bleeping> dress.

Nunt unh. If I want a dress with some such decoration, I'll make the dress and use waste canvas to cross-stitch a design or do some freehand embroidery.

No more smocking for me -- although I can certainly admire it.

~~ Alison

Author: ChocoKitty Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3050 of 7313
Subject: Re: Go the Craft Bug back!! Date: 7/23/2004 3:52 PM
Recommendations: 0
I agree, and there's also no shame into admitting that a craft you once liked no longer suits you. I used to love quilting, counted cross stitch, and plastic canvas along with knitting in high school and college. But as I grew older, my taste in decor leaned distinctly modern/clean/contemporary. My passion for knitting has lasted, on and off, for two decades, but other craft interests have definitely fallen away. Knitting still allows me to make chic and funky things that match my tastes, while other crafts don't.

CK

Author: TMFMEnnis Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3051 of 7313
Subject: Re: Go the Craft Bug back!! Date: 7/23/2004 6:18 PM
Recommendations: 0
There are many crafts I admire -- quilting, crochet, counted cross stitch, and smocking, for example -- that I have no desire to DO.

Glad you got your groove back, Pipney!

Author: ChocoKitty Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3052 of 7313
Subject: Re: Go the Craft Bug back!! Date: 7/23/2004 6:21 PM
Recommendations: 1
That's the nice thing about having experience with different crafts -- you have an even greater appreciation for the work that went into it!

Pipney, keep us posted on those projects!

CK

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement