UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (82) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: freethinkerkeywe Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 41629  
Subject: Re: MRK-stick to the facts Date: 8/28/2005 9:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 95
Go to any town and watch the jury selection process. NO ONE who works wants to serve on a jury despite your suggestion to the opposite. The doctors, lawyers, businessmen, anyone with any degree of pull won't even appear for the process because they will have their lawyer (or they themselves) call the judge and get themselves excused before the process even begins. I know because that's how I handled it when I was called, a process suggested to me by several others who had similarly gotten off. As a result, it is difficult, if not impossible to get jury of your peers (at least in terms of a decent level of sophistication). One of the jurors even said they didn't understand the science AND THEREFORE THEY IGNORED IT.

This was the last post I could take about jurists lacking sophistication. So, not just to you, but to all the people who condone "making excuses" to get off jury duty, I've got something to get off my chest:

There is simply no honor in lying to get off jury duty. People who lie to get out of jury duty and who complain about the low quality of jurists in trials are like blabbermouth shout radio/TV Chickenhawks who lied about cysts on their asses or who had dad pull strings to keep them out of Vietnam.

Loud mouthed hypocrites are the lowest form of critics.

People who lie to get off jury duty, but who then turn around and make fun of jurists not being "peer" material are anti-American. You have become part of the problem by not serving honorably. Feeling superior to those without your "pull" lends to your thinking that you are smarter than the jurists.

When you lie to get off jury duty, you become an anti-citizen. You do yourself and your fellow citizens wrong. You still want influence in your commmunity but you want no responsibility. This is what I call immauirity.

Pulling monkey business to get out of jury duty dishonors your name. And these poor unsophisticated people on the jury with no social pull, or who might have "juice" but who refuse to use it, are the real "players" and backbone in society.

Just to shoot a few more holes in your thinking:

Let me tell you about the lack of sophisticates I served with this year. I served on a six person jury in Key West. Of the 7 of us (I was the alternate), 5 were college graduates. One was a business owner of a big construction firm here in the Keys. He, like myself, did not graduate from college. The only other male was a retired exective from a huge Madison Avenue firm. The four women were all sharp, well read, and fiercely independent. All of the women worked, in banking, retail, and the hospitality industry. The discussions in our break room ran from books to film to politics in China to music to you name it. No one in this group talked about reality TV shows or talked religion.

Down here, in Key West, which is the most "liberal" city in the Banana Republic of Florida, I found myself sitting with four Republicans and two Democrats and enjoying our talks immensely. I was the only registered Independent voter out of the seven. Still, the other six enjoyed me as much as I enjoyed them. The reason is we were honored to sit with other citizens who "did the right thing" by serving on a jury and not lying to get out of the service.

Our group of seven thought both the prosecutor and the defense attorney were terrific in their pre-trial warmups. We were anxious to hear the specifics of the case.

Unfortunately, after three days of jury selection and hearing opening arguments, the case was settled out of court before the first witness was called. The day we were dismissed, I must say, we stood out front of the courthouse, shaking each other's hands, and wishing we could have heard the case as we all wanted to know how the case was settled. We never found out. The settlement was sealed.

I received an incredible Thank-You letter from the judge who presided over our trial. It was the most heartfelt letter I've ever received from an authority figure in my life. Every single jurist received the same signed letter.

How anybody can turn their back on jury duty simply because it "interferes" with their work or will cut into their recreation time is beyond me. To do so, is to turn your back on emotions which make you feel good about yourself. These good emotions come guilt free from your heart when you "do the right thing".

Next time you get a summons to appear for jury selection, ask yourself "WWJD"?

What Would Jefferson Do?

Serve your community, and serve your country. In most areas, you are only elgible to serve once a year. And if they call again, go down, answer pre-selection questions honestly, and see if you are selected.
So you're a big businessman or a soccer mom with 3 kids or a doctor with a busy office . . . MAKE THE TIME TO SERVE! Once you serve, you'll see how important it is to be a part of the legal system which decides guilt or innocence. Without a court of law and a jury of peers, we become a nation of oligarchs and plutocrats assigning guilt and innocence with money influence.

If you serve, shove your jury duty in the faces of all the wannabe American patriot blabbermouths who juiced the system so that they would not have to appear. Those are not the kind of people you want as friends anyway. Use your jury duty as a shield to shut their big yaps. You don't need people like this in your life. Drop 'em like like a glowing ingot. Find yourself a better class of people, someone who doesn't lie as a second nature simply because jury duty is an inconvenience.

Not only that, but it's cowardly thing to shirk your civil duty because associates or friends do it. Do you take all your cues from people with distorted views on the price of citizenship? Next time, do the right thing. Serve. Your kids will look up to you. Lead by example. And think about the other benefit: if you serve, you won't be bitching about the low quality of jurists in your locale.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (82) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

BMW METHOD EVENTS

The 2009 BMW Method Conference has been cancelled, due to minimum attendance numbers not being met. We hope to continue the annual BMW Method Conference tradition next fall.

Learn about the first four conferences on the BMW Method Website.

The BMW Method FAQ

BMW Method Website
Annual Conference Videos and Other Resources & Services
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement