Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5633  
Subject: go-to vegetarian recipes Date: 9/16/2012 10:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
What are your favorite simple vegetarian/vegan meals, the ones you make most often coz they're easy and delicious, the ones requested by spouse/children/friends?

MAYAN BLACK BEAN SOUP

1-lb black beans--soak the night before or morning of, then rinse
------------------------
2 T olive oil
1-2 onions, chopped
4 ribs celery, chopped
2-3 large carrots, chopped
4+ hot peppers, chopped (with or without the membranes/seeds depedning on how hot you like it) or use canned/pickled chilies
6 large cloves garlic, minced
------------------------
6+ tomatoes, chopped (or a bottle of Goya pico de gallo or other salsa instead of hot chilies and tomatoes)
2 bay leaves
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp cumin, crushed or ground
1 tsp coriander, crushed or ground
1 tsp paprika
1/2+ tsp hot chili powder
----------------------
1 lime wedge per serving
a little chopped cilantro

(1) Saute' onion in olive oil for a few minutes, then stir in rest of first-group veggies and saute another 10 minutes.
(2) Stir in tomatoes, herbs, spices, presoaked beans and plenty of water. Simmer for a couple of hours, then optionally mash or puree to desired consistency (or not).

Serve with lime and cilantro. And a nice salad.

HOT POT

Bring a quart or two of broth to a boil, then add each ingredient as you prep it. Amounts are approximate.

6+ large, thinly sliced shiitakes
1/2-1 head bok choy or 1/4-1/2 head napa, coarsely chopped
1/4-1/2 onion, sliced or cut into crescents
optional: Handful of pea pods, destrung
3 garlic cloves, sliced or minced
Tub of tofu, cut in favorite shapes/sizes
optional: 1, 3/4" cylinder of soba noodles or some mung bean noodles or no noodles
1-2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
Small squirt agave
Pinch of 5-spice powder

By the time you stir in the seasonings, it's almost ready to eat.

CAULIFLOWER FENNEL LEEK SOUP

3 Tbsp olive oil, butter, or some of both
1 med to large onion, chopped
2-3 leeks, chopped
2-3 fennel bulbs, chopped

1-2 qts broth
1 med to large cauliflower, chopped small

1 cup half & half (or non-dairy cream like Mimicream, made from cashews)
salt, pepper, nutmeg

(1) Saute onion, leeks, and fennel in oil/butter till soft.
(2) Add cauliflower & broth, and add water if veggies aren't covered. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20-30 minutes till very soft.
(3) Puree with an immersion blender, blender or food processor, then stir in cream and seasonings (won't need salt if you use salted broth).

PASTA W/BROCCOLI AND CAPERS

1/2-1 lb pasta
1-2 lb broccoli, trimmed & cut into bite-sized pieces, stems & all
-------------------
2-3 Tbsp fragrant olive oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
6+ cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp capers and some of their pickling liquid
-------------------
1/2-1 cup grated romano or parmesan

(1) Boil pasta. When 5 minutes from done, add broccoli (or boil broccoli separately). Save some cooking water before you drain it.
(2) Meanwhile, saute pepper and garlic for a minute or two, then turn off heat and stir in capers & brine.
(3) Grate cheese.
(4) Stir it all together, adding 1/4 cup or so of pasta/broccoli cooking water.

==================

I used to make shells (conchigli) stuffed with ricotta cheese and mac & cheese from scratch often, but I've cut back on pasta and cheese so only make these when my kids visit now, if they ask for them. The secret to great stuffed shells is a great from-scratch marinara with mushrooms and fresh herbs. The secret to great mac & cheese is stirring in sautéed onions, celery and bell pepper--and a little sherry and worcestershire to the cheese sauce. And baking with a layer of seasoned bread crumbs and wheat germ on top.

We also love minestrone and Indian dinners (usually dal, vegetable curry such as aloo gobi, and raita), but these are more work so I don't make them as often.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5440 of 5633
Subject: Re: go-to vegetarian recipes Date: 9/19/2012 7:15 PM
Recommendations: 2
My go to recipes change frequently. Lately I have been making a lot of caramelized tofu and avocado sushi.

Press sushi and cut into strips about 1/4 in x 1/4 in. by 4 inches (or the length of your tofu block) Pan sear until browned on all sides. Mix up a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce, a tablespoon of brown sugar, and a tablespoon or so of water. Add to the pan and toss the tofu until all of the soy sauce mixture is absorbed or coats the tofu. Let cool.

Make your favorite recipe of sushi rice. Put about 1/2 cup rice on a piece of nori and spread out. Lay two strips of tofu so that it makes a line the length of your nori. Lay down some avocado slices. Roll with a sushi mat and cut into slices.

It's also very nice with some shitake mushrooms or shredded carrot thrown in as well.

I also love tofu bahn mi sandwiches. I use seasoned baked tofu from Trader Joe's to make this a really quick meal, but you could use whatever tofu you want. Thinly slice cucumbers and carrots. Pickle in rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Let sit for 30 minutes to an hour, stirring periodically to make sure everything is covered. Drain. Get some nice french bread and make it all toasty. Slice in half, and put a little mayo on one side.Put tofu, some of your pickle mixture, some cilantro, and some thinly sliced jalapeno pepper. Enjoy.

It's been hot here, so the only things that I can think to eat are cold or room temp foods like that. In a few weeks when the weather turns cool I will switch to my cool weather go to meals like sweet potato peanut soup and Indian creamed eggplant. But for now, i can't even think about those.

DEG

Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5443 of 5633
Subject: Re: go-to vegetarian recipes Date: 9/28/2012 10:48 AM
Recommendations: 0
Several delicious ideas, thank you!

Lois Carmen D.

Author: tori26 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5497 of 5633
Subject: Re: go-to vegetarian recipes Date: 2/27/2013 4:03 PM
Leek Noodles
adapted from Ten Minute Cuisine by Green & Moine
In a wok or deep fry pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add 2 shredded leeks and 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves. Add cooked noodles of any shape (about 1 pound when uncooked) and stir-fry until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.

Last night I added fresh asparagus cut up with the leeks as well as sliced cremini mushrooms.
We used angel hair pasta.

Linda

Author: tori26 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5498 of 5633
Subject: Re: go-to vegetarian recipes Date: 2/27/2013 4:04 PM
Recommendations: 1
Kale with Cashew Cream Sauce

Submitted by: SusanV

1 large bunch of Kale
1/2 cup cashews, raw (or 1/3 cup raw cashew butter)
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 tbsp onion flakes or 1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tbsp (or to taste) VegBase, nutritional yeast, or vegetable bouillon (look for a salt-free option)

Slice the kale, removing the center stalk, and steam it in the microwave for about 4 or 5 minutes. While kale is steaming, make the sauce by blending cashews, soy milk, VegeBase and onion flakes until smooth and creamy (a handblender works great if you use cashew butter). Serve the kale with the sauce drizzled over it.

Susan’s Notes: I never use the entire batch of sauce for one bunch of kale; I save the extra to use over Brussels sprouts, broccoli, or other vegetables. Almost everything tastes better with cashew sauce! But it is high-fat, so I use it sparingly.

Adapted from www.drFuhrman.com

We love this recipe.

Linda

Author: tori26 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5499 of 5633
Subject: Re: go-to vegetarian recipes Date: 2/27/2013 4:11 PM
Recommendations: 1
about 2 months ago we went to a chinese restaurant with my Mom. We ordered Pok Toi with black mushrooms. Totally amazing.

Here is the recipe:

Baby Bok Choy with Shiitake Mushroom

This bok choy dish is easy and healthy however it is also easy to mess it up. Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect stir-fried bok choy dish:

1) Use fresh baby bok choy. Only the fresh greens will give you the crunchy taste and fresh look.
2) Easy on salt. Do not over dose on salt. It not only kills the bok choy flavor but also makes it become saggy faster. Always taste it and make an adjustment.
3) Watch your time. I like my bok choy somewhat crunchy. Over cook the vegetables will be saggy and loss most of the nutrient from the greens.

I hope you get to try it out. It also works with other kind of leafy vegetables..

Ingredients

10 oz Baby bok choy
1 tbsp garlic, minced
3 Shiitake mushroom, minced (if use driedShiitake mushrooms. Soak it until soft)
1.5 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tsp Sugar
1 tbsp Oyster sauce
1/2 tbsp Cooking wine
1 tsp Sesame oil
3 tbsp Water
1tsp Corn starch, dissolved in 2tsp of water.

Step-by-Step

1) Wash the bok choy a few times thoroughly. Discard any yellow or dark leaves. Drain.

2) Over high heat, add 1 tbsp of oil and quickly stir fry the bok choy with ½ tbsp of minced garlic. Add ½ tsp of salt and cook it al dente. About 3 minutes. Layer the vegetable in a plate.

3) In a sauce pan, add ½ tbsp of minced garlic and chopped shiitake mushroom. Cook until the mushroom is soft.

4) Combine minced garlic, oyster sauce, soy sauce, water, sugar, cooking wine, and sesame oil to the mushroom. Cook in low heat for 5 minutes. Thicken it with corn starch mix. Add salt if necessary

5) Pour the mushroom sauce on top of the bok choy. Serve it when it’s warm.

Sometimes I used dried mushrooms which I have heated to a boil in veggie broth, then left in the broth for 30-40 minutes to rehydrate before I slice them up to add to this dish.

Linda

Author: tori26 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5500 of 5633
Subject: Re: go-to vegetarian recipes Date: 2/27/2013 4:14 PM
Smashed Chickpea & Pesto Sandwich Recipe

Yield: 2-4 sandwiches, depending on size

Total Time: 10 minutes

Classic pesto sauce mixed with smashed chickpeas and smothered between two slices of bread for a modern twist on a "salad" sandwich. Vegetarian, healthy, flavorful and simple.

Ingredients:

1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 Tbs. prepared pesto
2 Tbs. red pepper, finely chopped
1 Tbs. onion, finely chopped
Zest and juice of 1/2 lime
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Lay them out on a paper towel and pat dry. Remove the papery skins if desired. Transfer them to a bowl and smash with two forks. Add the parsley, pesto, red pepper, onion, lime zest and lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve on sandwich bread, or as a dip with veggies, tortilla chips, etc.

Cassie's Notes:
Use any pesto that you like, the chickpeas will mesh well with any flavors.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement