UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Jim2B Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 41627  
Subject: Re: Bargain hunting Date: 11/13/2012 12:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
God forbid the government even attempt to raise money to help pay for its obligations. The fact that workers paid into social security all their working lives with the expectation of being able to withdraw at the end of the day be damned.

This attitude just isn't going to wash.

This is BS argument and you know it.

Current and prior recipients of SS payments, on average, received more benefits than they paid into the system. People who are likely to start SS in the near future will likely get more than they paid into the system.

This is because the government elected to use SS to "buy their vote."

However, in my generation, 80% of the recipients will get less than they paid in and possibly they will get nothing if the system bankrupts itself. My kids will get an even worse deal.

You are saying that people who voted themselves a great deal by spending the money of later generations, owe those later generations nothing. That's not very "fair". In fact, if any democrats cared about the youth in this country, they'd fall all over themselves trying to fix this inequity.

As far as I'm concerned, I've written off SS. 15% of my pay for my entire working career and I'll likely receive nothing (thanks for thinking of me and the later generations Kelborn). I just hope to get the program axed before it screws my kids too badly. I know this isn't a realistic expectation, too many people are too selfish to think about "fairness" and making sure a program deals equally to all generations. Then again, that's par for the course for the party that preaches the government owes constituents "free stuff." Democrats won't even let me try to salvage a small amount of that 15% for my own retirement. Greedy b@$t@rd$ that they are.

And yes, I'm willing to throw earlier generations under the bus to fix SS. After all, all of my ancestors had to pay into the program but got nothing back due to disqualification from their eligibility for other programs.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

BMW METHOD EVENTS

The 2009 BMW Method Conference has been cancelled, due to minimum attendance numbers not being met. We hope to continue the annual BMW Method Conference tradition next fall.

Learn about the first four conferences on the BMW Method Website.

The BMW Method FAQ

BMW Method Website
Annual Conference Videos and Other Resources & Services
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement