UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: n8larson Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1955459  
Subject: Godless Liberal Sickos Win Again Date: 1/31/2013 5:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 31
http://blog.sfgate.com/morford/2013/01/29/godless-liberal-si...

The culture wars are mostly over, and the GOP largely lost. And continues to lose. And in the grand scheme, always will. Why? Because younger generations always lean away from the more oppressive ideas of their elders. Because civil rights are always in humanity’s best interest. Because it’s never been about godless self-indulgence and liberal hedonism defeating hard work and respectful restraint. It’s far more about intellect, love, and shared humanity defeating a beloved trio of conservative American demons: constriction, paranoia, and fear.

Morford has a way with words, don't he? I liked this part, too:

The South used to have enormous influence on culture and politics, acting as the genteel, racist heart of “real” America. But as the new rainbow constituency takes hold and a calm, intellectual black man enters his second term as president, that influence is waning; the South is now more isolated, emasculated, increasingly meaningless in the new America dialogue. This much we know: The South will not rise again. Ever.

-n8 (Godless Liberal Sicko before it was cool)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: GrumpyOldGuy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1856764 of 1955459
Subject: Re: Godless Liberal Sickos Win Again Date: 1/31/2013 5:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The problem that Liberals have, and will always have, is that they believe in the innate goodness of the human race.
Well realists know that humans are animals, and carnivores at that. We are held in check by laws and self interest, not by hugs and kisses.

Author: icono5 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1856798 of 1955459
Subject: Re: Godless Liberal Sickos Win Again Date: 1/31/2013 7:33 PM
Recommendations: 5
Actually, Grumpy, I'm a liberal, and I don't believe that people are innately good. The research is ever-evolving, and people certainly aren't blank slates at birth, but most begin with the capacity for great empathy and compassion, as well as for great anger and resentment. "We" liberals (if I can exercise a little hubris here) prefer to appeal to the best potential in people, rather than to the darker aspects that are, of course, always lurking and quite easily triggered.

------------------------------------------------------------

"The problem that Liberals have, and will always have, is that they believe in the innate goodness of the human race.
Well realists know that humans are animals, and carnivores at that. We are held in check by laws and self interest, not by hugs and kisses."

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1856803 of 1955459
Subject: Re: Godless Liberal Sickos Win Again Date: 1/31/2013 7:48 PM
Recommendations: 2
The problem that Liberals have, and will always have, is that they believe in the innate goodness of the human race.
Well realists know that humans are animals, and carnivores at that. We are held in check by laws and self interest, not by hugs and kisses.

You can say America lost the culture war.

Having a stable family, with good values? That's too Leave It To Beaver. Naaaah. We'd rather listen to music that talks about shooting people who are giving the evil eye. And if your woman mouths off? Slap her around.

"Honey Boo Boo" gets more views and interest than say, a history program. It's also more cool and respected to be a trial lawyer than it is an engineer. Which one is better for economic growth? Oh, I suppose there's a case to be made for chasing ambulances.

You've hit on part of the intellectual problem the left has. The other end of it is that liberals ALWAYS self-congratulate to excess. Their sense of self-superiority manifests itself in posts like the OPs where it's not enough to simply disagree with something or someone, that something or someone has to be destroyed. Life to them is a zero sum game: agree with them or else.

They also categorically ignore long term effects and never understand the incentives their decisions create. It's why they're always shocked to find out that people make decisions the way they do.

Author: nigelwhalmsley Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1856810 of 1955459
Subject: Re: Godless Liberal Sickos Win Again Date: 1/31/2013 7:59 PM
Recommendations: 4
"The problem that Liberals have, and will always have, is that they believe in the innate goodness of the human race.
Well realists know that humans are animals, and carnivores at that."

You've missed something here. I am a liberal, and I don't believe in the innate goodness of the human race, but I do believe that we are hard-wired by evolution to be 'good'. It is a selfish self-interest that drives this. You treat others as you want to be treated - not because it is 'good', rather because it increases the likelihood that you will, in fact, get what you want (being treated by others as you want to be treated).

"We are held in check by laws and self interest, not by hugs and kisses."

Same is true for liberals. Evolution provides selfishness as a means to self-preservation. It is good to be 'good' because it benefits you. Humans are innately selfish - most religions teach that you do good things so you 'get' your reward.

Most liberals understand exactly what you are saying.

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1856821 of 1955459
Subject: Re: Godless Liberal Sickos Win Again Date: 1/31/2013 8:48 PM
Recommendations: 49

Yes, the world would be so much better if only everyone could learn to hate and fear their greedy neighbors like Conservatives do.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1856917 of 1955459
Subject: Re: Godless Liberal Sickos Win Again Date: 2/1/2013 9:55 AM
Recommendations: 13

Au contraire. Because we are realists and know that bad genes/upbringing tend to lead to less optimal results, we support allowing women to end unwanted pregnancies, we support early childhood education, we support food, housing, and health care for poor families, we support policies that lead to more jobs that pay well enough so people can support themselves and give their kids a better childhood.

Author: SpeedBump13 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1856941 of 1955459
Subject: Re: Godless Liberal Sickos Win Again Date: 2/1/2013 11:03 AM
Recommendations: 0
The 2010 changes made by the Texas Board of Anti-Education will be in place until the year 2020. http://www.therevisionariesmovie.com/

-Wes

Author: JDCRex Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1857027 of 1955459
Subject: Re: Godless Liberal Sickos Win Again Date: 2/1/2013 3:56 PM
Recommendations: 3

The hallmark of a truly great wingnut post... when you can't actually tell if it's satire or serious.

But if it's serious, please tell me: how does the "laws" part of your stance reconcile with you and your ilk calling for these self-same "animals" and "carnivores" to be given nearly unfettered access to things that can serially rip people's skulls open at distance? Is that really wise self interest?

Author: JDCRex Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1857037 of 1955459
Subject: Re: Godless Liberal Sickos Win Again Date: 2/1/2013 4:17 PM
Having a stable family, with good values? That's too Leave It To Beaver. Naaaah.

Aww, gee - Wally - when are you going to get it?

Just because someone doesn't model themselves on Ward and June doesn't mean they don't support stable families and good values.

(And by the way - Ward and June would probably think your pretty tedious attempted-hip long-in-the-tooth borrowings from Urban Dictionary were too much like jazz-cigarette talk. You know - your name itself, "got game", "ROFLMAO", "epic fail" and the rest. Maybe a bit Eddie Haskell-ish. Just sayin'.)

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1857045 of 1955459
Subject: Re: Godless Liberal Sickos Win Again Date: 2/1/2013 4:31 PM
Libruls simply don't think critically, which is why our country is swirling the bowl before our very eyes. Oh, well. So be it.

Author: icono5 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1857049 of 1955459
Subject: Re: Godless Liberal Sickos Win Again Date: 2/1/2013 4:39 PM
Recommendations: 58
CCinOC: "Libruls simply don't think critically, which is why our country is swirling the bowl before our very eyes. Oh, well. So be it."

---------------------

Yep--whereas your posts, like the one above, consistently exhibit a careful, thoughtful sense of nuance, while avoiding slandering entire categories of people, thought, and behavior out of ignorance about their complexities. They take each claim on its individual merits and offer measured, tailored responses.

Or not.

I'll be on the lookout for your next offering of the critical thinking that you value so highly. For I'm sure you'll want to juxtapose the fruits of your intellect with those of the silly "libruls."

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1857058 of 1955459
Subject: Re: Godless Liberal Sickos Win Again Date: 2/1/2013 5:21 PM
Recommendations: 40

Yeah, that Jesus guy was an idiot.

Feel free to explain the emotions of sympathy, charity, and empathy.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1857086 of 1955459
Subject: Re: Godless Liberal Sickos Win Again Date: 2/1/2013 7:48 PM
Godless Liberal Sickos
=======================

Why so redundant?

Author: AdvocatusDiaboli Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1857135 of 1955459
Subject: Re: Godless Liberal Sickos Win Again Date: 2/2/2013 4:26 AM
Recommendations: 65

Is that so? Isn't it conservatives who want to deregulate everything, convinced that businessmen and corporations will "do the right thing"?
Isn't it conservatives who keep telling us that the welfare state isn't necessary because private charity will provide?

Author: Vetiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1857163 of 1955459
Subject: Re: Godless Liberal Sickos Win Again Date: 2/2/2013 11:38 AM
Recommendations: 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpfvkeo0KBc

It seems some wild animals in the jungle are more human that Americas right wingnuts.

V.

Author: jwiest Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1857173 of 1955459
Subject: Re: Godless Liberal Sickos Win Again Date: 2/2/2013 12:12 PM
Recommendations: 6
Feel free to explain the emotions of sympathy, charity, and empathy.

He doesn't have them, so he doesn't believe in them. Any claims to such fictional emotions are invented solely to try to scam him out of his money, or steal his guns while he's not looking.

Don't waste your time, it's like trying to pet a rabid dog.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1857225 of 1955459
Subject: Re: Godless Liberal Sickos Win Again Date: 2/2/2013 2:26 PM
Recommendations: 1
(And by the way - Ward and June would probably think your pretty tedious attempted-hip long-in-the-tooth borrowings from Urban Dictionary were too much like jazz-cigarette talk. You know - your name itself, "got game", "ROFLMAO", "epic fail" and the rest. Maybe a bit Eddie Haskell-ish. Just sayin'.)</i.

Thanks. Gives me an incentive to use more colloquialisms, now that I know how much it annoys you.

Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1857234 of 1955459
Subject: Re: Godless Liberal Sickos Win Again Date: 2/2/2013 3:02 PM
Gives me an incentive to use more colloquialisms, now that I know how much it annoys you.

Spoken like the true bully you are. Bully for you!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement