UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: andryia Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3513  
Subject: Re: Eek Date: 1/3/2008 3:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
God's level of intervention in the world is a mystery to me also. I remember when I first found the fool, I made the mistake of spouting on AF about all the "miracles" and assorted other divine interventions in my life. As you can imagine, this went over like a lead balloon. Maybe belief in divine intervention is not the problem so much as the way one talks (or brags) about it. Lots of testimonies just seem full of smugness and greed.

I believe that God works in small ways as well as large ones, sometimes in response to prayer. But I can't say with any degree of certainty which events of my life are special movements of God and which are just natural consequences of natural events, or even if there is a difference.

As to why God doesn't fix world hunger, war and terrorism, disease, and all the other problems out there--I guess that is our job. Maybe God is waiting for the church as a whole to step up to the plate before he starts blessing individual efforts. I don't know.

I do know that I can't reconcile the life of Jesus with an impersonal God. Jesus was hands on. He took on the religious establishment, but he also cooked breakfast for his friends. He healed blind eyes, but also took time hug little kids and answer some really stupid questions. He didn't just deal with big problems or in spectacular ways. I don't know why he would do any differently today.

Andrea
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement