Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8418  
Subject: Going Apesh!t Date: 5/26/2012 2:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
There has been some discussion, particularly on the Retire Early Board, about the use of the word ‘apesh!t’. Incidentally, the word in its original form fails to pass the TMF censors and I would make an argument it should be included in the acceptable column.

My contention is that apesh!t expresses a specific particular not easily articulated by another word or phrase. Saying some went apesh!t denotes something not covered by ‘hysterical’, ‘panic-stricken’, ‘out of control’ or ‘frenzied’. Apesh!t is a class unto its own.

Even ‘going bananas’ doesn’t cover the breadth of apesh!t. Like art, we know apesh!t when we see it – going bananas is milktoast to apesh!t’s beef.

“My Gawd, all I did was show him the e-mail and he went apesh!t,” says more than, “I showed him the e-mail and he was disturbed.” Far more. Now we know because we already know what apesh!t really means: it doesn’t mean ‘disturbed’. It means ‘apesh!t’.

In the early days of television the word ‘pregnant’ was verboten. We used euphemisms such as ‘with child’ or ‘enceinte’. Lord knows ‘knocked up’ was beyond the pale. If Archie Bunker went apesh!t we said he was, in his own way, responding to Meathead’s point of view. Now, on reflection, we know Archie went apesh!t.

Maybe, in a decade or two we may find a word more descriptive than apesh!t but, right now, it fills a niche perfectly.

MichaelR
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement