Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 442259  
Subject: going 'home' Date: 12/3/2012 6:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Well, 1poorMIL wants to go "home". Can't say as I understand it. 'Home' is where I'm living; where my immediate family is. It's not the place of my birth (e.g. Los Angeles is NOT my home, and hasn't been since I was about 4).** She wanted this last year also, but when she (confidently) contacted relatives they all said "sorry, can't do it". This year she appears to have found someone to take her in. Not her siblings, nor her children (who are all either dead or not in the Philippines). I believe it is a niece.

Keep in mind that she is almost totally blind at this point. She can't even read her Bible anymore (which is important to her). Obviously she can't drive, and there is no mass transit in our area. She spends most of her time gardening, or watching/listening to the Filipino Channel. If she can bum a ride she goes to some religious functions (1poorlady takes her when she can, but not as much as MIL wants), but she is expecting to be able to do more of those back in the Philippines. I tend to doubt it, but who knows for sure.

1poorlady tried to explain the basic facts to her, but apparently she is "too stubborn" to listen. We could just say "no" (there wouldn't be anything she could do about it...no income, can't drive, etc). But 1poorlady has opted to send her back as she wishes. She will be at the mercy of more distant relatives there, no medical insurance, and still no real means of support beyond a cousin of 1poorlady.

I understand not keeping her prisoner here. I just hope this doesn't turn into a death sentence. She needs someone to help her, and she has no training for blind people. She can't shop or get around alone. 1poorlady already is pretty good at guilt, she doesn't need any more. I'm almost certain it's not going to be all rosy the way 1poorMIL seems to think.

1poorguy

** It is interesting that most Filipinos I know regard the Philippines as 'home', even if they are citizens or residents here. If I lived in the Philippines I would regard that as 'home'. Presently I regard the Sonoran Desert as 'home'.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement