Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
So I got the rig back from the shop that was repairing my "lifetime warranty" roof - for the third time - and it didn't start up so well. The guy started the generator because, he said, my batteries were low, then started the coach, and I drove it to the storage lot about 10-15 miles away. No problem.

I went back after a couple days, and click, nothing. Dead. Doornail worthy dead. Started the generator, got some juice flowing, and some things came back but not the engine. I had low volt readings on the panel, the transmission shift light wouldn't come on, the odometer LCD flickered. No matter what, I couldn't get the engine to start; I even brought Mrs. Goofy to it so I could manually push in the starter solenoid while she turned the key. Still nothing.

Replaced the engine batteries with new ones. Nothing. Then, I notice there was a cable hanging down behind the battery compartment. Not one of the huge, heavy cables that comes in the compartment but a thinner cable, maybe 1/4" thick, like the kind you might buy at an auto parts store. Anyway, completely loose, just hanging in midair. Nice.

Luckily I had it marked with a black cable tie (black for ground, of course, most of the cables have red terminals on their own, but I have "blue" cable ties for the engine positives and "yellow" cable ties on the coach positives to keep all those straight.) Anyway, I hooked this dangling cable onto the engine ground, nothing. Oh wait, the mobile service guy comes and plays with the battery terminals for 45 minutes, alternately tightening and loosening them, then loosening them and tightening them, accomplishing nothing. Oh wait! The engine turns over!

"Turn it off" he says, let's make sure it's right. I dutifully shut the engine off, it won't start again. The panel voltage ranges from 0 to 5.7 to occasionally 12.4 or 13.6. The mobile service guy continues to dick around with the lugs on the batteries, I finally get frustrate and send him away. I don't need to have someone twist a pliers on the batteries at $100 an hour. I can do that myself for less.

Finally, I decide maybe "ground" isn't "ground" and I switch the dangling ground from the battery for the engine to the battery for the coach. Everything springs to life, the engine starts, everything works.

So my question: isn't "ground" "ground"? Is there more than one ground? And if so, why did it work once and never again, and why should this matter?

(I've taken the rig to Cummins for regular service and asked them to check the electrical, so maybe they'll have an answer. And all of those became necessary because where I'm parked in a storage lot it would be nigh onto impossible for a tow truck to get me out thanks to the uber-sharp turns I have to make. Solo I can make it with a couple inches to spare. With a tow truck on the front, no way. Somebody suggested the truck could "tow" me around using just a chain and once we got to an open area hook up correctly, but without the engine I wouldn't have brakes, would it?)

Anyway, are there TWO grounds on an RV? And, uh, how?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement