UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: exoticatom One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Re: Cash out Bleeding Roth IRA to get out of Deb Date: 2/27/2006 10:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3

Going to school part time while working and volunteering hasn't been easy- but I don't feel I have much of a choice right now. As you pointed out, getting into vet school isn't easy, statistically it's 10xs harder in this country to become a Vet than a Dr. I know this- but I let myself be deterred once before by people telling me I couldn't do it. I'm not willing to listen to them anymore. I was put on this earth for a purpose and I'm willing to do what it takes to get there:) I don't have a choice about putting off any of my activities. The average applicant has approximately 1300 hours of animal volunteer experience. To be perfectly honest, I started volunteering because I had to- but, now, I give everything I can to them (time, money, administrative support, etc), because of how much they have enriched my life. And yes, I have kept my 4.0 so far (Bio, Labs, Chem, Calc, Stat- big bad Orgo is next yr). I don't think it's as unrealistic, to try, as other people have made it out to be. But I'll only find out if I try:)

I'm well aware that if by some miracle I do get into vet school, I will not have time, $, or sleep. But those are things that I have gotten used to doing relatively without anyway. I'm not scared.

Hey l/i -

Having bailed out of a well-paid job to go back to school myself, I heartily applaud the notion! After starting out as an engineer, I did a night masters in applied physics, then went back and chased particles full time because that was what I wanted to do. I was also told that I shouldn't take the chance and probably couldn't cut it - including by my grad school advisor. The transition was wrenching, the level of work almost killing, the poverty abject - but the adventure exalting and the overall experience beyond price. One of the main things that kept me going was the knowledge that I wasn't supposed to make it - having disregarded such advice there was no option of an honorable retreat!

Quitting work and going back to school to pursue something you really love is much more of a life-changing experience than a few grand sitting in your Roth (or not) will ever be; if you decide to go for it - and it sounds like you should - then you need to really go for it, total commitment, nothing held back - life is for the living! (Much more than it is for the counting, but sounds like you have already figured this out.)

Night school while working is really tough, if you're beating your way through a real science program - you'll never do as well at learning the things you need, let alone knocking down the grades and test scores to land a slot in vet school, as you would if you burn the bridges and march off into the unknown, towards your future - I watched people much more talented than I was fall by the wayside from trying to hold down a job on the side - it's just too easy to try and juggle your time just a bit more, and real learning is just too hard. You'll have plenty of time to earn money later - and there's way more to life than money anyway. (A simple truth which often seems to get lost on these boards.)

Oh, and one final piece of advice, which most of us learn waaaay to late - sleep is king! Trust me, your brain will work much better on a good night's sleep than it will on a few more hours of late night cramming... I repeated that experiment many times!

Bill
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement