UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: AstridS Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37142  
Subject: Going too far? Date: 10/18/2000 10:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 15
I've been thinking about yesterday's Oprah on controlling wives. I'd just like to remind us all (myself included) to not lose track of the reason why we're all participating in this quest for organization: we want to have less chaotic, less stressful, more fulfilling lives. If we lose track of the big picture and become too busy nagging our SO, roommate or kids about their "bad" habits, we will ultimately fail in the big goal.

We need to remember that we are all on a quest for happiness. Making ourselves and those around us miserable is not a part of that quest. Ultimately, if the dishes don't get done immediately after the meal because you're busy talking to your kids or spouse about their day, SO WHAT? They'll still be there in a couple of hours. We're not in the military, or even in our parents' house (most of the time, anyway).

I think that at the beginning it is very easy to fall into the trap of "having" to do something. No you don't. You have chosen to do whatever-it-is. Telling yourself that you have to do something in order to establish a habit is different from telling someone else that they have to do something.

Respectful communication is very important in almost all relationships. Would you tell your best friend that they are a disgusting pig, and expect to keep them as your best friend for very long? Of course not. So why would you use that type of language with a family member? You wouldn't right? Try to listen to yourself once in a while to make sure that you aren't. Attacking your partner is a good way to make yourself partnerless.

If you find that the way you're trying to be organized isn't making your life easier, it's making it more stressful, CHANGE WHAT YOU'RE DOING. Try a different time of doing it, a different way of doing it, get someone else to do it, but make a change. Don't keep doing something that is frustrating. What's the quickest way to get rid of a headache? Stop hitting yourself in the head with a board! Remember your mom's advice? "If it hurts, don't do it!" :-)

OK, now I'm done ranting. Be good to each other.
AstridS
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement