No. of Recommendations: 0
It is my understanding that Clinton will sign a bill in July permitting IRA and other retirement money to be invested in bullion and rare gold coins. Does anyone think this is a Foolish investment (whether this be done inside or outside a retirement fund)? The theory goes like this: the gold and coin market is finite; if only a small portion of this finite market gets gobbled up starting July, prices should go up. Sounds easy, but what do you think?
Print the post Back To Top
<<It is my understanding that Clinton will sign a bill in July permitting IRA and other retirement money to be invested in bullion and rare gold coins. Does anyone think this is a Foolish investment (whether this be done inside or outside a retirement fund)? The theory goes like this: the gold and coin market is finite; if only a small portion of this finite market gets gobbled up starting July, prices should go up. Sounds easy, but what do you think?>>

I believe this is the third folder in which you left this post. It was answered rather well in the Fools and Their Money folder as I recall. In any event, to paraphrase what TMF Taxes and others said, the long term prospects of bullion and coins (to speak in the venacular) suck. And the prospects of any change in IRA law regarding these investments is slim to none, with the emphasis on the latter.

Regards......Pixy
You are correct - I did leave this message in other folders because I thought I would get responses from other people who read the other message boards. Am I not supposed to do this? I am new to the Fool, I think you guys are doing a great job, I spent $ on your materials and definitely did not want to anger anyone. Please accept my apology if I goofed. By the way, thanks for the advice.
Bullion in the form of certain accepted coins can be put into IRAs right now. I believe the American Eagle. As far as rare (and therefore collectables) coins, I really doubt that because of the difficultiy pricing these items. There is no liquid secondary market for these items and therefore the door would open for fraud and tax evasion. I think that someone is pulling your leg my friend.
Yo, Mark.

<<You are correct - I did leave this message in other folders because I thought I would get responses from other people who read the other message boards. Am I not supposed to do this? I am new to the Fool, I think you guys are doing a great job, I spent $ on your materials and definitely did not want to anger anyone. Please accept my apology if I goofed. By the way, thanks for the advice.>>

Whoops......If you thought I was angry, I apologize to you. You'll find it's much easier to leave your query in just one folder. One of us will answer for sure, and if we don't know we'll direct you to where within Fooldom you can get a reasoned response. It saves us time by not having to respond to the same question in a number of folders, and it ensures you and other interested folder readers get the benefit of the best possible answer.

Again, sorry if I left the impression I was angry. That was not my intent.

Regards........Pixy
Advertisement