Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (50) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 57325  
Subject: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 7:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HELEN!

Helen, if you would, please come up here, front and center.

It fills me with pride and honor to present to you the Official TMF Quitting Smoking GOLD MEDAL for ONE YEAR SMOBER! Wear it with pride in your tremendous accomplishment. I know that all around, this hasn't been the easiest of years for you. What a time to quit smoking! BUT YOU DID IT! You beat Ms. Nico! You squashed Cruella! You are proof that ANYONE can quit, no matter the circumstances.

For you, I have gone all out with the accomadations. This place is called the Elm Wood Country Club Resort and Palace. There are two main building, the country club bulding, and the palace. We each have a delux suite in the palace, a gorgeous building! On the main floor, there is a dining room and formal ball room, where we will be spending this evening.

Among the other accomadations we have access to during our stay (everyone must be checked out by noon Friday) are horse riding and/or lessons, 7 PGA golf courses, fitness centers, indoor and outdoor heated pools, room service, breakfast, lunch, and dinner menus (several buffets after tonights big sit-down meal), and limosine shuttle service from the country club building to the palace. There are also dry cleaning and laundry services available.

Each evening there will be a different band in either the formal ball room of the palace or the country club dancing facilities. Be sure to deposit the loaner jewelry in the safe and it will be returned by the matre d' tomorrow afternoon.

And now for the best part! As big as this Palace/ Country Club/ Resort is, I actually booked a good number of rooms. The other rooms are booked by just one other group, and you guys will never belive this! There is a national convention of lawers here! So, all of you unattached ladies (Helen!) when you see those well dressed attractive gentlemen in the corridors, that's who they are. I understand that this convention is one of prestige, and while there are several young rookies, most are well established in their careers.

So, here we are! I know that this party is going to be a blast! I've left nothing to chance!

Helen, I do hope that you'll make a speech today, as we would all love to hear your feelings on the great day! You be sure to enjoy the luxery of it all! And if there is anything that is unacceptable to you, you just let me know! The staff here were told to wait on you as though you were the Queen! You're the best, You deserve it.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HELEN!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ONE YEAR SMOBER! AND THE BEST PARTY OF THE YEAR!

Rebecca
Eleven months, one week, three days, 13 hours, 55 minutes and 58 seconds. 10367 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,347.76. Life saved: 5 weeks, 23 hours, 55 minutes.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: plecoguy Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13597 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 8:26 AM
Helen,

Way to go! Congratulations on getting the gold--what a wonderful accomplishment. You've been an inspiration to us all and a very important contributor to this board. I remember how much your posts helped me in the early days of quitting, and I will never forget your kindness, love and words of encouragement.

Now, may I have the first dance? You look stunning in that $10,000 gown, and those diamonds don't match the sparkle in your eyes. I'm so glad Rebecca arranged to have the calories taken out of all of this food and drink!

Artie

Eight months, one day

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13598 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 9:05 AM
I'm so glad Rebecca arranged
to have the calories taken out of all of this food and drink!
-------

Think nothing of it! What are friends for? Besides, it was a purely selfish gesture. :)

Glad you stopped by Artie! I just know this will be the party of the year!

Rebecca
Eleven months, one week, three days, 15 hours, 13 minutes and 54 seconds. 10369 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,347.97. Life saved: 5 weeks, 1 day, 5 minutes.

Author: ehore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13599 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 9:34 AM
Helen, it's a good thing that I walked everywhere when I was up in Maine. If I hadn't, after eating all that lobster, I don't think I could have worn this tuxedo. You can spot me by the red needlepoint cummerbund with the penguins that I am wearing. Congratulations, you look great in GOLD.

Elliott

Six months, one week, four days, 9 hours, 36 minutes and 33 seconds. 8703 cigarettes not smoked, saving $978.88. Life saved: 4 weeks, 2 days, 5 hours, 15 minutes.

Author: stagehand One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13600 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 9:35 AM
Hi, everybody!

I had to stop by & congratulate Helen for her accomplishment. You've been an inspiration to all of us. Enjoy the party.

Chuck

Seven months, one week, four days, 7 hours, 46 minutes and 25 seconds. 7851 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,275.60. Life saved: 3 weeks, 6 days, 6 hours, 15 minutes.

Author: masonjarjar Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13602 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 10:05 AM
Congrats Helen! Thanks for all your support and kind words. You were the first one to welcome me to the board! :) I hope you have a great time on your special day. I'll we expecting a dance or two...Becca? you wanna cut the rug? :)

-Mason

Three months, two weeks, two days, 10 hours, 4 minutes and 23 seconds. 2792 cigarettes not smoked, saving $391.01. Life saved: 1 week, 2 days, 16 hours, 40 minutes.

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13603 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 10:08 AM
Becca? you wanna cut the rug? :)
----------

Absolutely, Mason!

Rebecca
Eleven months, one week, three days, 16 hours, 17 minutes and 26 seconds. 10370 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,348.15. Life saved: 5 weeks, 1 day, 10 minutes.

Author: maddiemcwa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13605 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 10:22 AM
{{{{{{{{Helen}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Congratulations! You are an inspiration to me and have helped me and countless others accomplish what we once thought was impossible. Thanks!

Rebecca has organized a celebration fit for a queen! You are certainly deserving and I'm honored to attend!

Madeline
Four months, three weeks, two days, 7 hours, 21 minutes and 55 seconds. 4068 cigarettes not smoked, saving $691.46. Life saved: 2 weeks, 3 hours, 0 minutes.

Author: EscapeMN Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13608 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 11:30 AM
Congratulations Helen! You are truly an inspiration.

-- Melissa

I will quit smoking in 4 days, 13 hours, 30 minutes and 27 seconds.

Author: HelenMcMillin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13615 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 2:05 PM
Recommendations: 28
Helen, runnning in and up to the podium!

First of all, let me apologize for being a bit late! I hate to tell you, but I thought the 15th was tomorrow! I got my nails done and hair fixed so I would be ready tomorrow. I even delayed dinner with my daughter until Wednesday so we could celebrate my ONE YEAR.

Nevertheless, here I am and ready to start the celebration. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, Rebecca for the beautiful Gold Medal. I shall wear it with great pride as it is truly a symbol that if I can quit, anyone can.

I hardly know where to begin in thanking you for the regal accommodations - my, my, a Country Club, a resort, and a Palace! I don't think I have ever stayed at such a swanky place, and I've stayed at some that were pretty ritzy! I am so pleased that you found this spot for us. And to think that we have all those gorgeous men to feast our eyes upon the entire week. I almost feel "hopeless" with that many lawyers
in one place. I'll just give up and enjoy it - probably come back home with a ring on my finger! Well, it won't be the first time.

You asked how I felt. Well, I'm overcome with feelings of gratitude and thanksgiving for all the help I have received this year, especially from the QS Board. I don't think I could ever have done it without your help. I have been telling all my friends, relatives, doctors, acquaintances and yes, sometimes strangers, that I will have been smoke free for ONE YEAR on the 15th! Many of them couldn't believe that it has been a year since I quit. When I started this journey, I wouldn't have bet a quarter that I would succeed - I have tried and failed so many, many times. I am also thankful for the new drugs on the market that makes quitting so much less painful,i.e. zyban and wellbutrin.

Cat asked me a couple of questions that I would like to answer now. Yes, I feel like a non-smoker most of the time. It is only when I forget HALT that I think of a cigarette and YES, it is worth everything, including every uncomfortable minute that I have experienced this year. I only have one regret(maybe two) I'm sorry that I did not possess the discipline to stay on an exercie and diet program and I do so wish I had been able to do this 30 years ago, for I know that this habit has cost me health-wise.

Now I need to personally speak to all of you here and tell you what a pleasure it is to know each of you.

Again, MANY THANKS

Helen

One year, 13 hours, 7 minutes and 32 seconds. 14661 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,199.28. Life saved: 7 weeks, 1 day, 21 hours, 45 minutes.

Author: HelenMcMillin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13617 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 2:33 PM
I need to stop right here and speak to this group of people.

HELLO ALL YOU BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE:

Donna, how sweet of you to stay up until nearly midnight to be the first to wish me a Happy Birthday. I just love you and hope to see you on a regular basis soon.

Margaret, thanks for your kind words. I really miss you. Wish you would drop around more often.

Damy, I've really enjoyed your guitar music.

Greg, You have always been such a joy. I am thrilled with both your bride and your golf game. Everything is going your way!

Artie, what a delight to see you. You look great! Of course, the first dance is yours. I love to dance with you. I'm a better dancer than bridge player<G>.
I certainly do miss you.

Elliott: How handsome you look in that tux. You'd better watch out or someone will think you're with that lawyer group

Chuck: What a surprise to see you here. I didn't know if you could make it or not. I'm so glad to see you. Let's dance at least one dance tonight.

care: You are such a sweet girl. I love to read your messages - you just don't post often enough for me! I'm so happy you came to this party. It is really something special, isn't it?

Mason: It delights me that you remember my response to your first message. I'm so very happy that you have stuck around. I always enjoy seeing you. Of course, I'd love to dance with you. Just whistle and I'll come running.

Now I must go to the next group, but I want each of you to know that you are special to me and I deeply appreciate your kind words of affection.

Helen

One year, 13 hours, 35 minutes and 25 seconds. 14662 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,199.40. Life saved: 7 weeks, 1 day, 21 hours, 50 minutes.

Author: ehore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13625 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 3:10 PM
As an acknowledgement to Helen's achievement in earning her gold medal, I hereby suggest that everyone recommend her acceptance post #13615 so that she truly receives the recognition that she deserves.

Elliott

Author: ehore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13626 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 3:14 PM
Elliott: How handsome you look in that tux. You'd better watch out or someone will think you're with that lawyer group

Helen, I would be caught dead with that lawyer group. Now being caught with a fine attorney like CaD is an entirely different story;~)

Elliott

Author: Max23 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13629 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 3:43 PM
Congratulations Helen!!!!!!!!!!

You have done yourself proud.

Max...*S*

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13630 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 3:48 PM
MAX!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew you'd be here! I hope you'll save a dance for me!

You know, you'll be having one of these GME's in no time at all! And you know what happens about a week after that!

Rebecca
Eleven months, one week, three days, 21 hours, 56 minutes and 49 seconds. 10377 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,349.06. Life saved: 5 weeks, 1 day, 45 minutes.

Author: HelenMcMillin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13631 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 3:55 PM
Gee, Elliott, how very sweet of you. I'm flabergasted which is about the same as speechless!

Helen

One year, 14 hours, 56 minutes and 57 seconds. 14664 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,199.73. Life saved: 7 weeks, 1 day, 22 hours, 0 minutes.

Author: HelenMcMillin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13632 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 3:59 PM
Elliott: I noticed that a lot of those lawyers were smokers, especially the older ones. You could really smell them when you walked by. I don't know that I want to take the chance of talking to any of them. With my luck I would pick the chain-smoking practicing alcoholic.

Helen

One year, 15 hours, 1 minute and 56 seconds. 14665 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,199.75. Life saved: 7 weeks, 1 day, 22 hours, 5 minutes.

Author: jrdown Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13633 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 4:04 PM
Recommendations: 1
Helen ~

I barely know where to begin.

You have been here from way back and are very consistant in posting and welcoming folks. You are a very grand lady and I think the world of you.

Well, gal, how do you feel being a figurehead? Quite a position to be in. Thank you for being here and being you.

God bless you and keep you. Congratulations for this magnificent accomplishment!!!

Love,
Kay

Author: HelenMcMillin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13635 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 4:06 PM
Thanks Max. I think you were here when I first posted. I lurked for quite a while. Glad you're still around.

Helen

One year, 15 hours, 8 minutes and 59 seconds. 14665 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,199.78. Life saved: 7 weeks, 1 day, 22 hours, 5 minutes.

Author: HelenMcMillin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13637 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 4:11 PM
Dear, dear Kay.

You are such a special person and such an inspiration to me. How can I ever thank you enough for your help when I'm low and your encouragment when I'm in need.

I'm so happy you came to this party.

Helen

One year, 15 hours, 13 minutes and 46 seconds. 14665 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,199.80. Life saved: 7 weeks, 1 day, 22 hours, 5 minutes.

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13638 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 4:46 PM
With my luck I would pick the chain-smoking practicing alcoholic.
---------

No, no, Helen. Have no fear. You'd smell the chain-smoker a mile away!

Rebecca
Eleven months, one week, three days, 22 hours, 55 minutes and 1 second. 10378 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,349.22. Life saved: 5 weeks, 1 day, 50 minutes.

Author: pwyles Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13641 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 7:07 PM
Just for this occasion I took the suit out of the closet, hmmm I don't remember it being this tight. Perhaps it shrunk on the hanger since the last time I had it on was for a job interview. Helen would you like to dance?

~~paul

Author: CaDreamer Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13642 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 7:27 PM
Helen-------

I would not have missed this party for the world!

First of all: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

No foolishness today, I want to try and tell you how very very happy I am at your success and to let you know a little of how very very much I respect and admire you!

Of all those whom I call friends here, you are the one that has inspired me the most, the one I have always counted on to be leading the way for the rest of us, to be always there with a kind or encouraging word. Your example has never failed to light the sometimes dark path.

So, at the risk of being a little too "mushy".......
www.send4fun.com/roses.htm is for you from me.

(((((((((((((((((Helen)))))))))))))))))))))))

Mushy from California

Author: CaDreamer Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13645 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 8:14 PM
WHoooooooooooo Elliott! You're such a flirt!!

Now being caught with a fine attorney like CaD is an entirely different story;~)

I LOVE IT!!!!!!

CaD

P.S. I agree, you look devistating in that tux!!

Author: HelenMcMillin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13648 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 9:25 PM
Paul, I was just thinking the same thing about my dressses. I'm not sure I can breathe when they are zipped up! We'll make the best of it though and dance the night away. Isn't this a gorgeous place? I've never been here before. Rebecca did herself proud when she found this.

Thanks for being here and helping me celebrate.

Helen

One year, 20 hours, 27 minutes and 16 seconds. 14674 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,201.11. Life saved: 7 weeks, 1 day, 22 hours, 50 minutes.

Author: HelenMcMillin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13649 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 9:45 PM
OK Gayle, now you've gone and made me cry. Sweet thoughts and expressions always make me cry. In fact, you should be present at some of our family gatherings. It's usually me or my daughter who starts first, then the other one of us, then mother, then my granddaughter #1 after which granddaughter #2 starts telling us all to "Stop It". We just can't help it. We're a mushy family.

You say the sweetest things, Gayle, and the roses were so beautiful, plus the card that came with them and the song(I'll always love you). I cry almost every time I hear that song.

I am so grateful for you. You have been an inspiration to me since I first started posting on this board. You are my kind of gal.

Thank you, dear one.

Helen

One year, 20 hours, 47 minutes and 9 seconds. 14674 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,201.20. Life saved: 7 weeks, 1 day, 22 hours, 50 minutes.

Author: catfyre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13650 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 9:50 PM
Becca this has to be the the most incredible bash I've ever attended!! You certainly are the century's Hostess-with-the-Mostess! Ooooooh I had enough trouble getting into these glad-rags, and I just got a peek at the dessert wagons, - gaadZOOKS!!

Isn't it great that Sreoch and Kathy made it in time for the party! What luck! Welcome, you two, - you came to the right place!! Only Helen could bring out the troops like this!! But where is Goody?? And Susan?? And Barbara?? Are they here??

Did anyone see that gorgeous hunk in the Lobby? Looks like Sean Connery? I'll be right back . . . . .
. . I think

dazzledcat

Author: HelenMcMillin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13653 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 9:57 PM
Cat:

If it's Sean Connery, I'm coming with you. Of course all the guys in this room and quite handsome tonight. The only thing is, Sean is about my age!

Helen

One year, 20 hours, 59 minutes and 35 seconds. 14674 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,201.25. Life saved: 7 weeks, 1 day, 22 hours, 50 minutes.

Author: catfyre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13654 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 10:20 PM
OUR age , dahling, and I saw him first!

Oh dear, no, this is YOUR party!! Perhaps he is yet another surprise from Becca?

Tell you what, if he's still smoking, I get him. If he's quit, you do! Is that a deal? (I can handle smokers, especially when they look like him!)

pant. . pant ..

hope he likes cats . .

Author: TDMENEUF Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13656 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 10:56 PM
Now I need to personally speak to all of you here and tell you what a pleasure it is to know each of you.

Again, MANY THANKS

Helen

One year, 13 hours, 7 minutes and 32 seconds. 14661 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,199.28. Life saved: 7 weeks, 1 day, 21 hours, 45 minutes.

WOW HELEN! Made it just in time to say

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so proud of you. I know you have had a very rough year and you stuck to your guns on this one.

We are very proud of you and proud to know you.

Now, if you don't mind, I have just enough time to grab some of that delicious buffet and then work it off on the dance floor!

Deannda
Everybody BOOGIE!!!!!!!

Author: TDMENEUF Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13657 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 10:58 PM
Rebecca
Eleven months, one week, three days, 13 hours, 55 minutes and 58 seconds. 10367 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,347.76. Life saved: 5 weeks, 23 hours, 55 minutes.

And who is planning Rebecca's party by the way?

Deannda
I certainly wouldn't expect her to do it herself!

Author: mslumpy Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13658 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/15/2000 11:36 PM
Dear Sweet, Wonderful, H.R.H. Helen,

Sorry to be so late to your party, but I just got home from work. I really need this party. CONGRATULATIONS
You made it! You make quitting so much easier for the rest of us and we all love you for it. You are the BEST.

{{{{{{HELEN}}}}}}

Lumpy

Author: TomGardner Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13662 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/16/2000 12:41 AM
Helen,

Congratulations. After your acceptance speech, can anyone doubt our ability to overleap the natural obstacles in life? Count me among the inspired.

Back to quiet, appreciative lurking. Thank you and congratulations.

Tom

Author: HelenMcMillin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13668 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/16/2000 7:24 AM
Cat:

It's a deal! I just don't want to put my smobriety in jeopardy for any man! I tend to lose my head around those smooth-talking dudes, so can't risk being around one that smokes.

Helen

One year, one day, 6 hours, 26 minutes and 29 seconds. 14690 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,203.61. Life saved: 7 weeks, 2 days, 10 minutes.

Author: HelenMcMillin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13670 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/16/2000 7:31 AM
DEANNDA!

What a joy to see you. I didn't expect you here so I'm really blessed.

Thank you, thank you for helping me celebrate. You have always been one that I look up to.

Helen

One year, one day, 6 hours, 34 minutes and 2 seconds. 14690 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,203.64. Life saved: 7 weeks, 2 days, 10 minutes.

Author: HelenMcMillin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13671 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/16/2000 7:33 AM
I imagine I will. It would be an honor to do that for Rebecca. I'll have to find out just what kind of party she wants. It's going to be hard to "Out-do" this party that she's giving me.

Helen

One year, one day, 6 hours, 35 minutes and 55 seconds. 14690 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,203.65. Life saved: 7 weeks, 2 days, 10 minutes.

Author: HelenMcMillin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13672 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/16/2000 7:37 AM
Gee Barbara, I didn't know you worked except on your lumps. I kept watching for you all day yesterday, so I'm very glad you finally made it even though you are a little late. At least I hope you get to enjoy the remainder of the week with us.

I plan to go horseback riding this morning and play golf(on a different course) this afternoon. So I won't be around here much today, but tonight we'll swing again.

Helen

One year, one day, 6 hours, 39 minutes and 38 seconds. 14691 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,203.66. Life saved: 7 weeks, 2 days, 15 minutes.

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13675 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/16/2000 7:40 AM
I'll have to find out just what kind of party she wants. It's going to be hard to "Out-do" this party that
she's giving me.
----------

No need to out-do this one! I intended for this to be the party of the year!

Rebecca
Eleven months, one week, four days, 13 hours, 49 minutes and 35 seconds. 10397 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,351.65. Life saved: 5 weeks, 1 day, 2 hours, 25 minutes.

Author: HelenMcMillin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13676 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/16/2000 7:47 AM
Thank you so much, Tom. I wish you would stick around for the party. It's really quite a bash. Of course I wouldn't want to interfere with your fantacies, thoughts and dreams. I'm such that's how you came up with the idea of the QS Board. I deeply appreciate the other portions of TMF, but the QS Board is my life-line. I am so grateful to you for starting it.

Helen

One year, one day, 6 hours, 49 minutes and 45 seconds. 14691 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,203.70. Life saved: 7 weeks, 2 days, 15 minutes.

Author: bebe2000 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13687 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/16/2000 7:35 PM
Dearest Helen,

So very sorry I missed the celebration of your GOLD!

But I have watched the entire thing on video and because of the crowds gathered to wish you well, perhaps I had the best view.

You looked fabulous dancing with all those handsome men. (I hope some of them were the nice men from this board and not the lawyers staying in the hotel!) Of course, I don't know what anyone looks like except you, since you were sparkling with that gold medal around your neck.

I have been working entirely too hard to miss such a bash and like you, I do love to dance.

Helen, you deserve to be honored not only for your one year smober but for all of the kind, loving words and stories you have offered up to the rest of us as we begin our journey to smobriety.

Thank you for being you and sharing so much of yourself with the rest of us.

CONGRATULATIONS!

I'll send you a copy of the video if you don't have it!

With gratitude,
Bebe

One month, one week, four days, 20 hours, 40 minutes and 25 seconds. 428 cigarettes not smoked, saving $96.44. Life saved: 1 day, 11 hours, 40 minutes.

Author: HelenMcMillin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13697 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/16/2000 9:30 PM
My dear bebe:

The party isn't over yet. We have 'til noon on Friday. Rebecca said the bands, the entertainment, golf, horseback riding, etc. would be available until then. Isn't that great? It's been a long, long time since I've been to a party that has lasted this long.

I'm so glad you video taped it. Yes, I would love a copy. Most of those men gathered around me were from this board. Weren't they goodlooking. And man did they ever smell good.

I was sorry that Brian beat me at golf today, but it's going to be different tomorrow!

Thanks, bebe, for all your kind words. You are a dear.

Helen

One year, one day, 20 hours, 32 minutes and 41 seconds. 14714 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,207.13. Life saved: 7 weeks, 2 days, 2 hours, 10 minutes.

Author: tngirl74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20808 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/18/2001 9:27 AM
When I started this journey, I wouldn't have bet a quarter that I would succeed - I have tried and failed so many, many times. I am also thankful for the new drugs on the market that makes quitting so much less painful,i.e. zyban and wellbutrin.

Interesting that we both picked the 15th of August.

But my question, how much wellbutrin did you take? I haven't noticed it helping at all. Except, maybe I'm not crying.

tngirl
3 days, 13 hours 6 minutes

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20809 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/18/2001 10:14 AM
tngirl,

Congrats on making it though the first 3 days! It really will start to get easier. No matter how hard it gets now, it will NOT get as hard as it has been! You can do it!

Rebecca
One year, eleven months, one week, six days, 16 hours, 44 minutes and 56 seconds. 24979 cigarettes not smoked, saving $3,247.32. Life saved: 12 weeks, 2 days, 17 hours, 35 minutes.

Author: HelenMcMillin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20815 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/18/2001 11:36 AM
tngirl, I honestly don't remember if I started out with one or two - probably two a day. I took it for at least 3 months and I suspect for longer. I certainly didn't want to "fall" into a depression. I took it for a month before I actually quit, but the effects were that I was cutting down all the time and the last two weeks, I only smoked 1/2 pack, just take a puff or two at a time and saving the cig for later. Finally they really tasted gosh-awful and smelled worse. Also, I would only smoke on the patio and with temperatures over 100 - it wasn't a pleasant experience.

It takes a couple of weeks for the medication to build up in your system, so don't get discouraged. I would suggest that you make an effort to cut down in the meantime, then in a couple of weeks, cut down some more. I guess one would call that tapering off, but with the meds it's so much easier. I've tried the "tapering" without meds and I would just taper right back on and smoked even more.

How long have you been on wellbutrin?

Helen

Two years, three days, 8 hours, 38 minutes and 27 seconds. 29374 cigarettes not smoked, saving $5,213.95. Life saved: 14 weeks, 3 days, 23 hours, 50 minutes.

Author: tngirl74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20817 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/18/2001 2:28 PM
It takes a couple of weeks for the medication to build up in your system, so don't get discouraged. I would suggest that you make an effort to cut down in the meantime, then in a couple of weeks, cut down some more. I guess one would call that tapering off, but with the meds it's so much easier. I've tried the "tapering" without meds and I would just taper right back on and smoked even more.

How long have you been on wellbutrin?

This is so depressing. I've been taking it for 3 months. My brother said he started taking it and no longer had a desire to smoke. I think he was on zoloft prior. We have a great deal of dysfunction. My youngest sister and I are on prozac (she almost succeeded in suicide).

So now I'm taking prozac and wellbutrin (dr said it was okay) - and it's not any easier than any other time I've tried. I didn't try the patches or anything this time because I cheated way too much the last time.

Aarrrgggghhh. I am so ****** miserable. I feel like the weakest person on the planet. Why does this have to be so hard? Crap!!!

tngirl
3days, 18 hours

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20818 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/18/2001 3:15 PM
Recommendations: 2
Aarrrgggghhh. I am so ****** miserable. I feel like the weakest person on the planet. Why does this have to be so hard? Crap!!!
----------

tngirl,

But you're NOT weak! I can't count how many times I said I was going to quit smoking and didn't even make it through the first day! Here you are through 3, almost 4 days! I know it hurts. I know you feel like sh*t. I also know that it gets better. And it really is so worth it.

Do whatever it takes! You've come through the worst. Really you have! Keep posting! And read the back posts on this board. There is a lot of info and support to be had in them. And if it keeps you from not smoking for just this ONE minute, you'll make it through. And then the next and the next and pretty soon you'll see those days turn into weeks.

If possible, take a nap... You never smoked while sleeping! Or a shower works, too. Clean some of the nicotine gunk off your walls! Do anything to keep from smoking!

And if it comes right down to it (though the nicotine shoudl be just about out of your system) go pick up some nicorette. Better to chew the gum than to smoke the cigarettes.

Rebecca
One year, eleven months, one week, six days, 21 hours, 45 minutes and 42 seconds. 24986 cigarettes not smoked, saving $3,248.27. Life saved: 12 weeks, 2 days, 18 hours, 10 minutes.

Author: Motorhomegal Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20820 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/18/2001 5:53 PM
Trigirl, you CAN DO IT!! I'm only a few days ahead of you and I think I know what you're feeling like. It will get better VERY SOON. I had some computer problems last night and was very frustrated...grrrrrrr....did I ever want a smoke! First time since I quit I really DID want one. But I just reminded myself I HAD QUIT and the urge passed shortly. You're doing fine...KEEP IT UP....we're ALL pulling for you!! Just hang out here and read the many supportive posts....it keeps those hands busy...hahahahaha!!

Marilyn
(Motorhomegal)

One week, two days, 52 minutes and 52 seconds. 225 cigarettes not smoked, saving $28.24. Life saved: 18 hours, 45 minutes.

Author: AussieKez Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20827 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/18/2001 9:04 PM
tngirl

We are right here walking beside you. What you are feeling is very normal and posting here and expressing your feelings is wonderful.
Rebecca suggested you go back and read some of the other posts. I have been doing that and there is some really great help there.

Do you like candy?? Whats your favorite?? Go grab some and "pig out" on it. Not chocolate though, could increase your figure. The drug store has some healthy yummy stuff you can eat until the cows come home.
I like licorice and jelly type candy, and sugar free gum (that actually cleans your teeth)

What do you like doing?? If you like being on the internet, and identify having a smoke, try and do what Hellen did...cut a straw open and fill it with cotton wool. The hand to mouth habit is a toughy to break..

Drink some nice cold water, do you like Ice in your drink?? I find munching on the Ice is great.

Once a smoker, always a smoker. We must always be on our guard to the word NO!! It does get easier, you are at a vulnerable time right now BUT WOW...what an effort!! We are all proud of you. 4 days, and every day is a milestone in its own right. Dont look forward, and dont look back, just for today, don't smoke.

Think about what the extra money is going to buy you..there must be something you have wanted for a long time..

Smile, we are all here for you and KNOW!! what you are going through.

Keep up the excellent work. You can do it :)

Kerri
I will quit smoking in 5 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes and 55 seconds.

Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20832 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/19/2001 8:15 AM
Drink some nice cold water, do you like Ice in your drink?? I find munching on the Ice is great.
-------------

Drinking water is one of the best things a quitter can do. The water will actually help to flush the toxins out of your system. If you like elmon water, add some lemon juice and the lemon will help with the cleansing, too.

And about chewing ice... Don't tell your dentist! :) I used to be a big ice chewer... I still am to the degree that if I have ice I am likely to chew it. My mom actually goes out of her way to have ice on hand. If she goes to a restaurant or through a drive-thru she will either order a drink with extra ice or sh will order a cup of ice on the side. She also hs these cute little ice trays that make tiny pieces of ice. She almost always has a glass of these on hand!

Rebecca
One year, eleven months, two weeks, 14 hours, 45 minutes and 56 seconds. 25011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $3,251.50. Life saved: 12 weeks, 2 days, 20 hours, 15 minutes.

Author: tngirl74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20835 of 57325
Subject: Re: GOLD MEDAL EXTRAVAGANZA Date: 8/19/2001 12:25 PM
Thank you.

I am trying so hard not to replace one habit with another. I would so like to be one of those calm, normal-looking people.

tngirl
Four days, 15 hours, 55 minutes and 5 seconds. 130 cigarettes not smoked, saving $16.32. Life saved: 10 hours, 50 minutes.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (50) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement