Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

This is the same post, but easier to read! Sorry!

Doesn't he stand at the door and knock, on ALL our hearts?

Well, that is what a lot of people say, but it is not what the Bible teaches. The verse that talks about Jesus standing at the door and knocking is found in Revelation 3:20. The context is messages being sent to the Christian churches from angels who give the Apostle John visions from heaven. The previous verse, clearly says, as the message from Christ to His saved people, "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. . ." (Rev. 3:19a) That limits the message to the church and is not meant for the world at large.

But it doesn't limit His church. Nor does it imply that His church is made up of persons chosen to be a part of His church in the beginning. He rebukes those he loves- still, it doesn't mention anything about who is the church, or how they came to be the church nor 'who he loves'.

This Scripture is interpreted by the Scripture in Hebrews 12, where the Holy Spirit teaches that God only rebukes and chastens those He has already saved; His body (church) of believers . . .

"If you endure chastening, God deals with you as sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten? But if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons." Hebrews 12:7&8

And who's decision is it whether to 'endure chastening' or not? It still doesn't come out and say that one cannot become one of His 'sons' by a personal choice. I'm not saying you're wrong, here, just that I haven't found scriptural evidence that you're right in these verses.

IOW's, God only corrects His own sons . . .God does not chasten or rebuke those outside of Jesus Christ, His Son. So the command of Rev. 3:19 is addressed to the believers, not to the world at large. And God is warning the Christian church to listen to ~His~ voice, and open the door to ~Him~, to find true fellowship. For the visible churches, who call themselves disciples of Christ, who do not hear His voice and open the door to Him alone (but follow many other voices and "knocks" of false teachers) are not promised His fellowship, but are often carried astray.

Ok, I see what you're saying. That since this message of opening the door when He knocks is not intended for the world at large, then He's only knocking on particular 'doors'. :o) I believe you are saying that my reference to that particular verse ALSO doesn't prove MY point. You're right! I still believe that anyone in the world can be a 'son' of God, but If what you've said is true, I realize that I can't use that particular verse as evidence of that. More important to me than being right is not being wrong! Thanks.

This is not an evangelistic call to the world at large, but a specific warning to the existant and visible churches who function in Christ's name to remain faithful to the Son alone and to seek Him alone.

I'll read it again with your post in mind and see what the Holy Spirit tells me.

Like I said, so far I feel I've learned that none of that part of scripture shows whether either of us is right, but none of it proves we're wrong either!

Print the post  

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.