Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DaveLee One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8966  
Subject: Golf Ball Selection Date: 2/17/2002 6:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm just getting back into golf after a very long (20+ years) layoff. Back when I last played seriously, golf balls were not that complicated. 90% of Titleists were 90 compression (red/black), a few were 100 (black), and you'd find an 80 (red) on occasion. Wilson, Maxfli, and MacGregor offered reasonable alternatives.

Well, it ain't that simple anymore. I've always hit the ball relatively high, so I've never been overly concerned with stopping the ball quickly (in general) - at least on the public courses that I was playing back then. However, once I retire in May I'll be playing most of my golf at Pinehurst (courses #1 through #6)and lets just say things are a bit different there than they were on the public courses that I was playing back in the 60's/70's (both the demands of the courses and the golf ball options).

Until my retirement I still get precious little course time in. But I do spend time in the practice area regularly. In informal experiments between 'distance balls' and 'spin balls' it is pretty obvious that, particularly from tight lies, a LW pitch shot from 25 to 40 yards is much easier to stop/control with a spin ball vs. a typical 2-piece distance ball. I'm guessing that the same is true on full swing approaches to the green.

Of course this same additional spin will also make you more susceptible to inadvertent hooks/slices. My question is does anyone have any comparative data regarding the degree to which a spin ball will hook or slice vs. a distance ball? Or even an opinion?

I've never (at least when I played alot) been particularly wild off the tee or with any of my longer clubs, but I'd like to understand the trade-offs from other's perspectives.

Thanks.

dave

ps. My first post to Foolish Golf Tips. I mostly hang out at the Retire Early Home Page. I honestly didn't even know about this board until the change in access policies last week. I moved to Pinehurst (from Mn, previously Ca., and previously Ky.) in 2000 as a 'while working' home (currently work in Raleigh - 74 miles one way - a major contributor to my lack of golf)and a retirement home. The retirement piece commences 5/1/02.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement