Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFLomax Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2237  
Subject: Gone fishing Date: 9/28/2012 9:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Well not literally, but today I am starting a vacation and will be gone for a little over a week. I'll be up in Maine and hopefully supporting some local businesses and artisans and enjoying a lot of desserts using local blueberries. :) (Unfortunately I developed an allergy to shellfish otherwise I'd be enjoying some lobster too!)

Just didn't want anybody to think I'd disappeared completely. I hope everybody has a great week or so and I'll catch you all on the flip side!

Alyce
Print the post Back To Top
Author: mazske Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1085 of 2237
Subject: Re: Gone fishing Date: 9/28/2012 11:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'll be up in Maine and hopefully supporting some local businesses and artisans and enjoying a lot of desserts using local blueberries. :)

What part of Maine are you going to? I lived for 2 1/2 years in between East Machias and Cutler. I worked in Cutler at the VLF site, Navy and lived a few miles away in the direction of East Machias.

That area is about 2 hours "down east" from Bangor. It is roughly 20 minutes or so from Lubec, which is the most eastern point in the US

My oldest, now almost 20 and in his 2nd year at the Coast Guard Academy, was just a baby when I lived in Maine. I remember driving 2 hours to go to Bangor to Wal-Mart and he slept the entire way. Once there, he started crying and crying and throwing a tantrum and we basically turned around and went back home, 2 hours away.

That was a long time ago and he has no memory of it. Both mom and dad to though. :-)

Author: TMFLomax Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1086 of 2237
Subject: Re: Gone fishing Date: 10/8/2012 12:14 PM
mazske,

I was in Freeport and Camden... my family and I go to Maine once every year to get away, and we've also spent a lot of time in Bar Harbor and have driven through and seen some sights in Portland and Bangor in the past. I LOVE Maine. I think that's really awesome that you lived there, it's such a gorgeous place... and a testament to what much of it's like that you had to drive 2 hours to a Wal-Mart! Oh my... your son had an instant aversion to Wal-Mart as a baby?! 4 hours in the car back and forth, yipes! I wonder if he would have liked Costco better? ;)

It's very different from what I'm accustomed to here in the DC area, which has tons of people and traffic and Wal-Marts and such. :)

There's something very lovely about the pace up there (although in Camden, I had no signal for my phone, meaning I was almost entirely unplugged, which is also very different! - but probably what I needed on a getaway)... but I'm not sure I could take the winters if I ever lived there! I don't think I'm hearty enough, ha.

Alyce

Author: mazske Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1094 of 2237
Subject: Re: Gone fishing Date: 10/12/2012 9:16 PM
but I'm not sure I could take the winters if I ever lived there! I don't think I'm hearty enough, ha.

Yes, winters are long and cold. I spent 5 1/2 years living in the tropics. First in the beautiful country of Panama for 2 1/2 years and I followed that with 3 years in Puerto Rico. I reported to Maine in January.

The first week there, the high temperature, not low temp, but the high temperature for the week was zero.

After so long in the tropics, it was quite a shock to the senses. :-)

I met some great people there though. I also had my best garden ever in that short growing season.

I can say with almost near certainty, I'll never live there again though. And, odds are fairly good that I may never even make it back for a visit.

As with all things, only time will tell.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement