UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: calder1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: good alternatives to bankruptcy? Date: 10/28/2002 11:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1

This is a first post to the board.

I'm meeting with a lawyer tomorrow to talk about bankruptcy. I've read Nolo, read Tyson, read most of what seems to be available here at Motley Fool, and am wondering whether anyone on the board has anything to add that I haven't read.

I'm a 48-year-old professional who had no debt until a divorce 10 years ago forced me to return to school and start over. Since then I've acquired about $30,000 in student loans (not dischargable, I know) and another $38,000 in unsecured credit card debt from uncovered medical, dental, moving, and living expenses. I net about $2500 a month, have no significant possessions other than a 2-year-old computer I use for work and an 8-year-old car. My primary reason for considering bankruptcy is that I'm having major health problems and can't just get a second job to help dig out; indeed, I'm concerned about keeping my job. I've had three operations for two different cancers in the past three years, and just to make it fun, ongoing neurological problems that may have been caused by the undiscovered cancers or may be tied to something else as yet undiagnosed. I will probably be changing jobs because I don't have the health to keep the one I have (it's physically demanding).

Basically, I think I need to discharge the debt I can and start socking money away in case I become disabled altogether. I don't have family or friends with money to borrow from and only a small retirement account thus far.

Calder
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement