UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: kgk3 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 266546  
Subject: Good clean fun or a bad habit? Date: 5/31/2000 10:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
During the past few months, even in this awful market, I have been making several hundred dollars a week doing something that resembles low frequency day trading. It has worked pretty good indeed, but feels a bit like a bad habit because of the easy money. Here is what I do:

1. I constantly look for relatively low PE or modest PEG, high beta stocks in the $20-80 per share range. I happen to be comfortable with tech stocks but have worked with many different segments.

2. I have from ten to fifteen thousand dollars that I am willing to commit at a given time.

3. I look at my little group of stocks and try to identify a trading range for each one. I invest my money in one or two of them at what I surmise to be the bottom of their standard trading ranges.

4. When they go up from 2 to 5 dollars per share, I sell. I seldom have to wait more than a few hours or at most a day or two for this to happen. Every time it happens I make from $700 to $1500. Once this year I let ADCT run a bit and made $5200.

This is very tax inefficient, but it also seems very easy. If one of my little "investments" were to tank, it is a company that I would not mind sitting on for awhile. I avoid bad companies and will not touch negative earnings companies, biotech, Internet, or other companies that move moslty on news. I will admit that I tend towards the mid-cap companies, although there are plenty of blue chip companies that have a reliable five to ten dollar trading range.

My question is this: How many others out there are doing this? Are you having fun, too? Is this, in truth, a VERY BAD habit? Exactly how foolish is it?

Ken G.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement