No. of Recommendations: 1
The grocery store sells rotissery chicken that I like a lot, except that it is a little pricey. Sometimes they have it on sale. I spoke with someone that works behind the counter and discovered that they put the chicken out in the morning and then if it hasn't sold, they mark it down at about 3 PM.

The markdown is $3/chicken, which makes it about the same in price as an uncooked chicken. Given that I'm retired, I can time my trips to the grocery store so that I can get there after it is marked down but before all of the commuters have had a chance to snatch it all up.

- tmeri
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
does this mean you are eating chicken that was cooked 10 hours earlier?
No. of Recommendations: 0
does this mean you are eating chicken that was cooked 10 hours earlier?

I don't know. Is there way of telling if you buy it not on sale when they first put it out that it wasn't cooked 10 hours earlier? Or yesterday? Or three days ago?

- tmeri
The grocery store sells rotissery chicken that I like a lot, except that it is a little pricey. Sometimes they have it on sale. I spoke with someone that works behind the counter and discovered that they put the chicken out in the morning and then if it hasn't sold, they mark it down at about 3 PM.

Since I've been retired, I have been in the habit of just buying raw chicken. However I find that it pays to check the price of the rotissery chicken. Occasionally it is marked down or on sale and I've seen it actually be cheaper than the price per lb for raw chicken!
>>>Is there way of telling if you buy it not on sale when they first put it out that it wasn't cooked 10 hours earlier? Or yesterday? Or three days ago?<<<

The taste.

Or perhaps not. If the chicken is thoroughly cooked and then kept above 140 degrees you should not get sick. It may dry out though.

Grocery stores around here don't have chickens ready til mid afternoon. I guess we don't have chicken much for morning break.

Doug
Advertisement