UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Booa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308362  
Subject: Re: Is it just me ? Date: 10/7/2004 8:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Good easy questions....but hard, slow answers. I almost said CLK320 but now want to wait and ponder before I answer the questions.

BTW, Starbucks was one of the first to lose its appeal when I started the CC snowball rolling and has stayed that way even after the Happy Dance.

e-dalal

Sounds good. And hey, if a CLK320 is where your happiness is, chase it. Get it. But not if it means you're eating dog food when you retire.

I wrote "spending gets more fun" in my previous post when I meant to say "Saving gets more fun," but the nice thing about thinking ahead about what you want money for is, saving kind of is spending. The way using credit to buy stuff you don't have cash for is premature spending, saving up to buy something is, I don't know, postmature spending? Mature spending? Watching your savings mount when you know it means you can buy the limited edition Jack Skellington Toe Jam canner is giddy. You're like, "Ten more dollars and that thing I want is aaalllll miiiiine." :-) And when you daydream about what you really want, instead of saying, "Darn it, first I have to pay for that Italian dinner I charged three years ago," you can make a savings goal, reach it, and buy that thing, or go on that trip, or whatever.

And you can change your mind, when you're saving up the money first. This is one of my favorite things because I have such a short freakin' attention span. The dress I thought I couldn't live without suddenly pales when I see the absolutely perfect gift for my mother-in-law's birthday, or when I realize the DH and I have a fifteen year anniversary on the horizon (OK, 7 years away, but still) and I'd really like to go back to Hawaii. Hmmm, Hawaii...When you're not buying stuff on impulse, it's a lot more satisfying, and there's a lot fewer coyote ugly moments (when you look at the chartreuse bag that looked so cute in the GAP with horror, and you'd rather chew your arm off than keep carrying it, and you're praying you kept the receipt and didn't use it to toss your gum).

Plus, imagine the car dealer's face when you pay for your CLK320 in cash. :-)

--Booa
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement