Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Good morning all!

Glad that alstroemeria *hi!* responded. I did not know for sure, but I remember vaguely hearing a long time ago that SSD/SSDI beneficiaries probably convert to regular retirement benefits when they reach their eligible retirement age.

Also I just looked up the information on the SSA.gov site. Here's the link, and excerpted reply here. (Please go to the link itself to see the chart to determine one's retirement age.)

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/160/~/ef...

Effect of full retirement age on disability benefits
Updated 03/02/2012 11:23 AM | ID# 160
I receive Social Security disability benefits. Will my Social Security benefits change when I turn full retirement age?

When you reach full retirement age, nothing will change, except for Social Security purposes, your benefits will be called retirement benefits instead of disability benefits. You do not need to take any action.

Also just an odd, but familiar "me too" feeling about being afraid to call the local SS office. I know it isn't fully rational, but when I have some concerns about my benefits, I am afraid to call/contact to ask directly. It is possible to call and get an answer without having to identify yourself, or just have a friend call on your behalf (I did this for someone else several months ago) and get the information.

Lois Carmen D.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement