Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Bulldogger One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 193035  
Subject: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/14/2001 10:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
I've been lurking here for a while and thought I'd introduce myself prior to making comments. For the past two years I've been a daily reader and very occasional contributor to the Retire Early board. This is more of a stream-of-consciousness approach, which feels much less threatening right now. It's rather like comparing a pastrami sandwich and a Caesar salad...each sounds appetizing at different times.

Being born during WWII, I'm just above the Boomer age group, but identified with it all my life. Yes, I'm part of the Sandwich Generation, with the top layer doing the squashing at the moment.

My brother and I are the offspring of Archie Bunker and Mother Theresa. The patriarch has been dying for the past two years and has finally allowed the hospice folks to start visiting. My mother has always been a stalwart worker, taking care of her family and anybody else on the horizon. She's under such stress now that she's had a stroke, her blood pressure is sky-rocketing and she is tired all the time. However, when we suggest ways to allow hospice to help, each individual idea is met with "Oh, we can manage."

They're in FL, DB is in TX and I'm in NC. We visit 4-5 times a year, trying to keep even coverage. The Call could come any time, but this ol' boy has rung the alarm bell too many times to get us stirring very quickly. We'll believe it when the doctor says that time is up.

So part of me is prepared to grab the suitcase and call US Air, while the rest is trying to live a normal life. With 911 in front of us every day, "normal" is relative. The book and antique business is off, so we don't have much restocking to do.

Still, every morning the bulldog wants to go for his walk, the yard needs some tending and what, we're out of orange juice again?? Life goes on until it doesn't anymore.

Bulldogger
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35856 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/14/2001 10:44 AM
Recommendations: 1
and thought I'd introduce myself

Hi there, Bulldogger. Welcome to the BBB. Pull up a chair and have a cup of coffe or tea!

How old are your Mom and Dad? If you've been lurking a while, you know that several of us here have/had ill and/or aging parents.

Do your parents have any daily care? It certainly sounds like your Mom can't do it by herself.

As for living every-day life, we must. But we also need to do more than go through the motions of living!

What kind of bulldog?

Christina

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35858 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/14/2001 11:29 AM
Recommendations: 0
Hi there, Bull. As Christina said, welcome to the BBB.

C.J.V.

Author: kirakat Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35861 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/14/2001 12:03 PM
Welcome Bulldogger! Feel free to jump in and participate more often.

Sorry to hear what you're going through, but if you've been lurking a while you realize you'll find lots of shoulders, friends and good advice here.

Author: coldfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35877 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/14/2001 1:41 PM
I've been lurking here for a while and thought I'd introduce myself prior to making comments

Glad to make your acquaintance, Bulldogger. Welcome to the BBB.

My brother and I are the offspring of Archie Bunker and Mother Theresa

Gawd, does that sound familiar!

Life goes on until it doesn't anymore.

That pretty much says it, doesn't it?

Again, welcome aboard the good ship BBB.

cold

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35879 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/14/2001 1:44 PM
I've been lurking here for a while and thought I'd introduce myself prior to making comments.

Glad to see you here. Welcome, and enjoy!

~~ Alison

Author: coldfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35883 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/14/2001 1:54 PM
~~ Alison

T minus 3 and counting...

You are going to make it here on the BBB, now aren't you?

Author: acm4tax Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35884 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/14/2001 1:57 PM
Hi Bulldogger,

Welcome to our humble board.

It's a great board to vent your life's frustrations. You'll always find support and advice that you are welcome to take or leave. No one gets offended. Hope you continue to make contributions. We accept all ideas for discussion.

By the way do you own a bulldog, or does the bulldog own you?

Arleen

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35902 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/14/2001 4:55 PM
"I've been lurking here for a while and thought I'd introduce myself "

A pleasure to meet you!

"The patriarch has been dying for the past two years and has finally allowed the hospice folks to start visiting. My mother has always been a stalwart worker, taking care of her family and anybody else on the horizon. She's under such stress now that she's had a stroke, her blood pressure is sky-rocketing and she is tired all the time. However, when we suggest ways to allow hospice to help, each individual idea is met with "Oh, we can manage." "

This seems to be a standard response. I think it comes from living through the depression.
Sometimes, I think "God help you if you can't".
Other times "God help me if I can't"

"So part of me is prepared to grab the suitcase and call US Air, while the rest is trying to live a normal life. "

My condolences on having to deal with US Air.

The old "Agony Airlines".

Author: Bulldogger One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35928 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/14/2001 9:27 PM
Thanks for the welcome, folks.

The bulldog is the classic Winston Churchill English bull. He's my ninth, a steady succession since I was six. DH calls him a pain in the rear, but he'll sneak an extra biscuit to him when I'm not looking.

I had to leave the board earlier because my mother called to see if I agreed that she should try to talk him out of continuing his weekly transfusions. Bottom line, it's his decision, but he won't give up, and wants someone else to tell him it's over. It's a rotten position to put her in. So the phone lines were humming across the country again.

Author: LSEdwards Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35933 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/14/2001 11:21 PM
My brother and I are the offspring of Archie Bunker and Mother Theresa

I can't relate, Bulldogger. I'm from the loins of Marie Antoinette (to be kind, the Wicked With of the West seems too harsh) sired by Ghandi. Stated that way it sounds pretty cool - always eating cake. It was a "enriched" upbringing. I'll let others more qualified provide "advice" regarding your 'rents. ....Lee

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35943 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/15/2001 1:32 AM
", the Wicked With of the West seems too harsh"

Excuse me, Lee!

Your lisping again!

BTW: I'm trying to picture Ghandi eating cake.

lemon cake maybe?

Salt cake?

Author: LucyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35944 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/15/2001 1:36 AM
Hi Bulldogger, great observations. Welcome aboard.
Lucy

Author: joannev50 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35966 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/15/2001 11:05 AM
Welcome Bulldogger. Nice to have you around. From your posts sounds like you'll fit right in with this group. Hope you'll contribute often, it's a nice place to visit.

Jo

Author: 5walker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35976 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/15/2001 11:38 AM
I'm from the loins of Marie Antoinette (to be kind, the Wicked With of the West seems too harsh) sired by Ghandi.

Well it appears we have the same Dad.
For my mom, I'm trying to remember the name of that girl in the '70s who had 23 different personalities.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35977 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/15/2001 11:39 AM
", I'm trying to remember the name of that girl in the '70s who had 23 different personalities. "

Sybil

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35978 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/15/2001 11:39 AM
For my mom, I'm trying to remember the name of that girl in the '70s who had 23 different personalities.

Sybil?

Not that I know your mom, or anything. I think I remember a book with that name.

~~ Alison

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35980 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/15/2001 11:41 AM
"Sybil?

Not that I know your mom, or anything. I think I remember a book with that name.

~~ Alison "

Multiple minds thinking alike?

I'm a Gemini.

How bout you?

Author: 5walker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35984 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/15/2001 11:49 AM
That's IT!

Jeez, Sybil and Gandhi--well now at least I have someone to blame....

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35986 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/15/2001 12:02 PM
Recommendations: 3
Multiple minds thinking alike?

I'm a Gemini.

How bout you?

Taurus, but my brother's a Gemini.

and as my son said last night, "I used to be schizophrenic, but we're feeling much better now."

~~ Alison

Author: Odee Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35990 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/15/2001 12:15 PM
Some boards have a lot of bull...but I do believe your the first for BBB ;)

Welcome to the BBB - the only board you need, (other than Christina's Vexations board, and Aruba's Isle of Revenge). Okay, it's not the only board - but it's one of the best.

Odee

Author: LucyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36014 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/15/2001 2:07 PM

Claire:

That might be Sybill, not sure about the spelling.

Lucy

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36035 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/15/2001 5:16 PM
"Jeez, Sybil and Gandhi--well now at least I have someone to blame.... "

---------------------------------------------------

Personalities that yoou can't get your teeth into?

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36036 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/15/2001 5:20 PM
"Some boards have a lot of bull...but I do believe your the first for BBB ;)"

------------------------------------------------------------

This may be the kindest thing anyone has ever said about my posts.

I'm touched.

No, not in the head.

Just touched.

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36043 of 193035
Subject: Re: Good Morning, Boomers! Date: 10/15/2001 8:37 PM
it's his decision, but he won't give up,

If he won't give up, then he's not ready to die. Not mentally any way. I think that you have to let him do what he wants to do, if you can. If the hospice folks are visiting him, they are the ones that should be talking to him about continuing agressive treatment.

But, you are right - in the long run, it is HIS decision.

Good luck.

Christina

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement