UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14993  
Subject: Re: Poll: 12 Steps Program anyone? Date: 8/31/2012 9:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Good morning Ishtar, thank you for your reply. :)

In 1994, I got a DUI. The Navy decided this meant I was an alcoholic (instead of realizing that I was going through a divorce and had mental health problems, so the drinking was self-medication).

Part of what I had to do included going to a certain number of AA meetings (as well as what they called Level 2 - outpatient - rehab).

Court (or in your case, Military) mandated participation isn't always appropriate. I have only heard in vague terms a few people going through such programs. Right now, one of the kids I know is in jail and is being considered for release (on parole?) to a court-mandated long-term inpatient drug treatment program. She wants this as she has struggled with drug addiction issues for a few years and she has been in and out of rehab for the last 1-2 years. In her case, it is something all of us feel is appropriate and necessary.

What I found was a bunch of people replacing their alcohol addiction with food, caffeine and/or cigarettes. Like any other group, some people had really good insight into their problems and many more others were just going through the motions.

I have heard the same and I've noticed the same in the few meetings I've been to in the past.

I know for many people, it becomes a supportive environment, but for me. . . I don't do well with groups to begin with. There's no way I was really going to open up in the environments I observed. And yes, I tried different groups throughout the area I was in.

Here in NYC, there are a lot of different meetings for bigger groups like AA, NA, etc. I am just beginning to get information about DA, CoDA, etc. There are fewer groups locally for these, but I am glad at least they are here. I am not always comfortable in groups, but if it gets me in the right direction, I want to give it the effort.

In recent months, I feel like I am hitting rock bottom. I have been getting very depressed about my environmental issues and I want some structure. I am declining significantly. Getting depressed and angry again. Some of my anxiety is coming back again, too. I don't like the way I feel.

A small bit of good news is I just got a call yesterday and confirmed that I will be in one of the local facilitated NAMI support groups (a 10-week workshop) and I am considering additional other services and groups there, at least to feel like I am viable in some fashion.

I am struggling to cope at this point. Not sure if 12-step programs will help, but I think trying to get some scheduled activities and something functional will at least give me the idea that I am doing something relevant.

Lois Carmen D.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement